Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Stuttering

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 10:54 am
Recently, my 2.5 year old started to stutter. I've noticed he does it sometimes when he forms longer sentences. His older brother never had this problem. I don't know if this has anything to do with this, but he speaks 3 languages. I read that it's common (especially for boys) from ages 2-5. I know I'll ask the doctor later on, but I'm just worried about it. I don't interrupt him when he speaks and I try to have lots of conversation with him. This morning, when he spoke to me, he tried saying something and then he just got frustrated and stopped. Did you child also have this? if it went away, when did it get better? when should I get worried?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 11:53 am
I have a cousin whose child had similar speech issues from speaking 3 languages. She's Australian, her husband is from Uruguay, and they live in Israel. They dropped Spanish as per the doctor's advice and the child's speech issues disappeared.

fc8899

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 2:16 pm
It is completely normal and called developmental dysfluency. It occurs occasionally during bursts of language. Just ignore it and never correct him. That's the way to make sure it doesn't become permanent

anonymrs

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 6:37 pm
It's very normal to happen between 2-4 when speech develops. Give him as much time as he needs to speak and make sure that he does not feel pressured in any way when he is trying to speak.

tweety1

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 9:40 pm
A top speech evaluator once told me that it's completely normal upto age 5. After age 5 it's a concern

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 9:49 pm
I was actually going to post on the same topic my DD who is 2 has shortness of breath when talking. there is stuttering on my DH side and I am a little concerned. she grasps for air between words as if she ran a marathon and trying to catch her breath. I know stuttering is common in toddles but was wondering if there is a family history of stuttering should I be concerned.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 9:12 am
amother wrote:
I was actually going to post on the same topic my DD who is 2 has shortness of breath when talking. there is stuttering on my DH side and I am a little concerned. she grasps for air between words as if she ran a marathon and trying to catch her breath. I know stuttering is common in toddles but was wondering if there is a family history of stuttering should I be concerned.

OP here

I googled this and stuttering could be genetic, but of course you should ask the doctor if you're concerned and hopefully your DD will be fine with speech later on.

I'm just very new to this since my older son never had this before and he speaks a lot to his younger brother. He's been talking lots and lots with his brother without problems but now he suddenly started to stutter, especially when he forms sentences in hebrew. So I ignore it and I hope that it will go away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics