Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Baby Gift

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 9:18 am
We are due within the next few months and my husband came home from work yesterday with a beautiful gift from one of his co-workers. It was such a sweet gesture and I want to be sure to acknowledge it as such.

What is the proper etiquette here? Do I send a thank-you card immediately? Do I wait until the baby is born so that I can include a sentence about how much the baby loves the gift? Should I call them? I don't know them well and a phone call might be a bit awkward.

Thanks for your help.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 11:09 am
Thank them now.
It's one less thing to do later when busy with a newborn.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 4:06 pm
A gift of any kind should be acknowledged immediately if not sooner. The giver knows a newborn can't possibly "love" a gift; a nice, brief note saying how much you like it and how you can hardy wait to use it will be just fine.

Dear Ms. Temple:
How very kind of you to send us such a lovely gift! The tap-dance shoes are stunning. Fred must have told you that I always wanted to be a tap dancer but was forced to take ballet instead. I still want a tap-dancer in the family and can hardly wait to put these beauties on the baby. You are officially invited to his or her first recital in about 5 or 6 years. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness.
Sincerely,
Chana (Ann) Miller

Optione

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 4:11 pm
Thank you for the thoughtful gift... we can't wait until we will be able to put the adorable and charming ______to good use.

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 4:14 pm
Okay, thanks everybody. I was leaning toward sending a thank you card immediately, I just wanted to be sure. Is it tacky to send the card with my husband? Should I mail it to their home instead? I can see if my husband has their address.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 4:32 pm
It's probably better to mail it, although I think it's ok if your husband delivers it.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 7:13 pm
Mail it.

And zaq, you're the cutest!

chaos

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 7:28 pm
I think it is acceptable for your husband to give the thank you note to the coworker in person at the office. When my office threw me a bridal shower, I gave everyone thank you notes at their desk. Besides, it depends on the workplace, but I've never had my coworkers' home addresses and if asked, I never would have given mine out.

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 7:40 pm
I'm not really sure what to do because my husband could easily hand them the note and thank them. He doesn't have their address, he would have to look it up in their paperwork, which while acceptable because he has access, does seem a little creepy.

Still mail it?

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 8:07 pm
654785 wrote:
I'm not really sure what to do because my husband could easily hand them the note and thank them. He doesn't have their address, he would have to look it up in their paperwork, which while acceptable because he has access, does seem a little creepy.

Still mail it?

if it's creepy, have husband hand it to them

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 2:40 am
They handed him the gift, he should hand them the response.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:54 pm
654785 wrote:

Still mail it?

Nope. hand-deliver, just as the gift was.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:
Mail it.

And zaq, you're the cutest!

I paid her to post that.
Or maybe my mom did.
I'll accept with thanks either way.

Did you know you could fake tap-dance shoes by using double-sided mounting tape to stick quarters (or half-dollars, should you happen to possess any) on the soles and heels of your shoes?

Kitten

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 2:01 pm
Another vote for hand delivering. It's very nice of you to send a note. Many people don't anymore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette