Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Do I call his parents?

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:44 am
So I had a bit of an awkward sit at work this week and I am seeking some direction. Everyone in the situation lives in the same community and is frum if that matters.

My office is looking to hire a part time person to do telemarketing. The candidate should have awesome phone skills and be able to make friends with complete strangers. I posted on several job boards and got a call from a young man 18? 20? Who identified himself as having Asperger's. He sent a resume and cover letter (poorly written) and I was very friendly to him.

He is not qualified at all for the job. I cant help but wonder why he picked an ad that was so far from his abilities. Is there no one working with him to identify jobs he would be qualified for and apply for them correctly? I guess my question is, do I call his parents and say something? The next person he calls might not be so nice to him and I am kind of a softie and feel bad for him. If it was your young adult child would you appreciate someone calling you or would you tell me to go away?

kb

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:23 pm
Do you know the person? It's possible he's doing it alone because he has no support. Do you think ccf job link can help him? It might be nice (though definitely above and beyond and not required of you) to call them and ask them to help him out.

Then they can call him and say we heard you're looking for a job, maybe we can help you find something that can fit your qualifications. If nothing else, they can help him write a good cover letter!

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 10:00 pm
We recently hired a male (trained) home health aide (who is probably Asperger's) for my father. I happen to know his mother, and she was taking the initial calls for him & explained to me that he's a bit slow to catch on but very willing to learn.

She also told me that if he's making mistakes I should tell her because she is good at explaining things to him.

I think we were mistaken or not clear enough in trying to match the abilities of this young man to the job qualifications. DH looked at it as merely a safety issue (someone to supervise my father getting out of bed safely, taking a shower, etc and letting me know if an emergency would come up when my mother goes out.) But there's too much else involved. E.g he tried to help my father with his medications, but my father can do that better than the aide.

Unfortunately it's not working out very well because my mother is getting too frustrated with various things he does wrong, so we're going to have to let him go.

I did tell his mother I think he will do better in a supervised setting than an independent home setting. In other words, the point of my having an aide there is so I don't have to be there supervising. In a facility, perhaps he can get hands on training.

But I do feel bad that he's going to very disappointed when we let him go, and I don't know any easy way to do it, but I did tell him we need less hours and his mother is going to suggest he look for something with more hours. It was definitely a big help that I was able to talk to his mother.

I am not sure how welcome your opinion would be if you don't know the parents, though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)