Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Install gas line, or buy electric appliances?

workaholicmama

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:53 pm
Hi. We're buying a house now from a non Jew. Besides for renovating the kitchen, we discovered today that there is no gas line. What is more economical? I need a dryer, 3 stoves (milchig, fleishig, and I got a gas range for pesach too, this year) anyone have any idea what I'm better off with? My dryer and gas ranges(besides the pesach) are over a decade old, but work fine so far. Whom do I ask how much installing a gas line will run? And what is more economical long term?
Tia

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 12:03 am
Also what about heating? The house currently uses heating oil. Is it worth to convert the entire heating system to gas?

nylon

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 9:15 am
First, you need to find out if you can get gas. Call the local gas company. If nothing in your house has gas, you almost certainly don't have service.

The fee to do this is expensive, thousands of dollars, though the exact charge will depend. HOWEVER, if you are converting from heating oil, especially in the NY/NJ area, this is a very worthwhile investment to make IF there is a main available and you are planning to stay in the house. Gas heat and hot water is much more economical than oil and you will recoup your investment in monthly heating costs.

You may not have the option to do this, however. If there is no main in your street, your neighborhood would have to go to the gas company and propose it be extended (my neighborhood did this). It is only worth extending the line if you replace the furnace.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics