Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Suggestions where to invest

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 9:21 pm
We have saved up some money, close to $100,000, we are looking for a place to invest it. My dh and I don't have a background in investments. Can anyone help with ideas where to invest this money? thanks

justmarried:)

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:00 am
Speak to a financial adviser

5mom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 12:27 am
justmarried:) wrote:
Speak to a financial adviser

Good advice. Do some research on your own, too. One good investment that requires little effort is an index fund. It's a group of stocks that mimics the performance of the stock market as a whole. Since few funds beat the market, and trading is expensive, this is a very solid way to invest. Vanguard offers low cost index funds, as do some other brokerage houses.

It's important to consider costs. If you trade a lot, you will cut into earnings.

Also consider whether you will need the money soon or if you can afford to keep it in the market. How much risk are you willing to assume?

Most people will do best with a plain vanilla index fund. If your advisor wants to steer you towards something riskier, or promises returns of 20% a year, be very wary.

wife2

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 1:11 am
I second vanguard index funds.

SRS

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 1:06 am
Whatever you do, stick with normal investments like mutual funds and stay away from ppl peddling opportunities if you want to keep and grow your money.

doctorima

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:22 am
Index mutual funds through Vanguard or Fidelity is your best bet. They should be able to help you with how to divide it among their funds - how much in stocks, bonds, international, etc. Feel free to PM me for more detailed info.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:53 am
How does Oppenheimer Funds stack up to Vanguard? Ive had Oppenheimer Funds for many years and I think I do ok, much better than cds for sure. A financial planner tells me that funds with no charges/withdrawal fees (theres another name for them load and no load funds maybe), when the market goes down investors withdraw and you lose money, so you're better off working with load funds, perhaps someone here can explain it better.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 12:06 pm
OP, speak to a professional and decide carefully if now is the right time to invest in the stock market. A correction is coming within the next 18 months, why not wait until then to put your money in. Buy low.

Also, never put all your money in any one type of investment.

Have you bought a house yet? If not, that should be a good investment as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics