Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Son acting silly wwyd

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:16 pm
My 8 yr old ds used to be very a serious deep thinking type and I really enjoyed him. For the past half a year he changed he became this silly, trying to get attention by acting silly it really gets me on my nerves, some of it is healthy cause he was much to serious for his age but it really bothers me and I try to Ignore it, but I feel that I don't like him the same I used too.
1) how do I deal with me feeling towards him?
2)is it age appropriate for kid this age to search on acting silly and making silly jokes?

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:22 pm
It's all part of the same thing. Respect this thinker who now thinks it's time to see the other side of things.

You aren't all of it. He has to get along with the other kids. They may respond well to silliness.

And anyway nobody is the same all the time. Nobody is one-note. This is part of the breadth of his character which is developing.

He's still who he used to be. You know him.

Your character and his resembled each other a lot before; they still do in one way. You may have to decide to let him be different from you in some ways although he is like you in some other ways. Give him permission.

We are always giving the kids permission to better or smarter than we are, or how shall humanity advance?

He must know he hasn't lost you. Be indulgent if uncomprehending.

Of course keep an eye on things. If it's stress or something, that's another thing. Make sure all is fine around him and nobody is bothering him. Observe and analyze. You can't do that while being annoyed, so don't be annoyed.

It is special when a mother loves a child who is quite different from her. That's generous of her.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Aug 11 2015, 11:38 pm
Wow Dolly Thank you what a deep intelligent answer, I really appreciate your insight I'll just copy /paste your Post on my phone to remember it.
Thank again

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 12:24 am
amother wrote:
Wow Dolly Thank you what a deep intelligent answer, I really appreciate your insight I'll just copy /paste your Post on my phone to remember it.
Thank again

It's funny I could've posted this.

My son acts silly when he's missing attention, or when he's bored at school, etc.
So I try to talk to him and tell him he's way to mature to act this way.
Doesn't help at the moment, but I think it registers in his head eventually.

Also, loads of extra attention. Even if it's extra hard to give it when they act silly.

Also, give him big boy chores and treats.
And remember, it will pass.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:19 pm
Thanks, Chocolate!

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 9:37 pm
I'd say it would be understandable if it's normal, kids can experiment with different styles.

However, you also should be aware that SOMETIMES a big change in behavior/personality can be an indication that something's bothering the child. Is there a reason why he feels a need to seek more attention now?

It could very well be nothing. But I think the fact that it's getting your attention means that you should think hard about this before dismissing it. Have there been any changes at home? Could something be going on at school or elsewhere?

Or maybe he just "stam" needs more attention, in which case it would probably be a good idea to give it to him before his silliness starts or in-between silliness episodes.

But if all else fails maybe it's just a phase.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children