Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What can I do with unused pot of rice?

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 8:39 pm
I. Oiled up a large pot of rice and didn't end up using it and not going to be home for shabbos so can't use it for that either.

Do I freeze it? If yes what method do I use when defrosting and rewarming? And what could I do with it to make it taste good when its defrosted?

If u can't freeze rice how long do u refrigerate it for and what can u so to revive the hard unappetizing state that its in when it comes out of fridge?

Thanks

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 8:42 pm
I would make rice pudding or use it in a casserole. Personally I hate the texture of rice after it's frozen.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 8:50 pm
Pastrami fried rice freezes great (rewarm in oven) and is delicious

Volunteer

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:39 pm
Make Stuffed peppers, zucchini, or eggplants. It doesn't matter if the rice is old. You could also add some rice to soup.

busydev

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:41 pm
make fried rice. I got a recipe on here and made it motzei tisha bav and it went over pretty well.

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:59 pm
So for now I can put in freezer though?
And do stuff with it after?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:22 pm
Don't freeze the rice plain. It will keep it in the fridge for a few days. Make fried rice or stuffed peppers or something like that for dinner early next week.

kb

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 11:42 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Pastrami fried rice freezes great (rewarm in oven) and is delicious

Recipe??

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 12:08 am
Add to tomato soup.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 6:17 am
Here's a recipe for chicken Fried Rice. Fried Rice is perfect for leftover rice because you need cold rice anyway for the best result so day old or older is ideal.

Unless you need to make the prepared dish now, I would freeze the plain rice. I freeze rice all the time so I have it ready in a minute in the microwave for busy days.

So you can just freeze and nuke for a dish later which has a sauce like Chinese food. But if you want to make a dish, fried rice is ideal for leftover rice.

Easy Fried Rice
AUTHOR: ALYSSA
PREP TIME: 20 MINS COOK TIME: 15 MINS TOTAL TIME: 35 MINS
SERVES: 8

An easy and delicious fried rice that will go perfectly to any chinese dish!
INGREDIENTS
3 cups cooked rice *
2 Tbs sesame oil
1 small white onion, chopped
1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce (more or less to taste)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp chopped green onions (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Pour sesame oil in the bottom. Add white onion and peas and carrots and fry until tender.
Slide the onion, peas and carrots to the side, and pour the beaten eggs onto the other side. Using a spatula, scramble the eggs. Once cooked, mix the eggs with the vegetable mix.
Add the rice to the veggie and egg mixture. Pour the soy sauce on top. Stir and fry the rice and veggie mixture until heated through and combined. Add chopped green onions if desired.
NOTES
* For the rice they suggest day old rice. I usually cook mine in the morning or night before and refrigerate. It will still taste great if you are not able to do this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes