Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
What jobs can be done from home?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:18 pm
seeker wrote:
Well clearly she's talking about people who are not licensed daycares.
I guess it's a risk. I live in a close-knit community and I would feel comfortable with it, we all know each other's families and I personally would never sue my babysitter no matter what. I trust her very much (wouldn't send my kid to her otherwise, and pay extra for that too) and if anything C"V happened on her watch I would feel confident that it was not her wrongdoing. I mean, my kids have gotten into plenty of scrapes on my own watch and I consider them acts of G-d. I think my sitter has a similar relationship with the other families that use her. She probably babysat for some of us mothers when she was a teenager, and now her kids are older and she's watching ours. Her kids all turned out so fine that I would not mind hiring her as a full-time mother to mine if I could!
Though of course you can never be too careful and I'm sure craziness can happen. I guess it's important to get a good shidduch on both sides. You can probably have parents sign a non-liability contract even if you're not licensed.
It's not about whether you can trust the person. If a child is hurt and requires costly medical treatment, the child's health insurance who pays for it will turn right around and sue to recover the money. The child's family will have no choice in the matter. Google "subrogation." OK, you wouldn't sue your babysitter. But do you care for your babysitter so much that you would forego treatment for your injured child or pay for it yourself? If not, your babysitter is at risk of being sued.

Edit: I am not sure if subrogation would apply in such a case, or how, but I would definitely consult with an attorney before assuming it wouldn't or couldn't.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:28 pm
How does this work with a nanny share? A common scenario in my area is that two of three families share a nanny. Does she have insurance?

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 10:19 pm
I'd assume with an unlicensed babysitter your insurance company would never know that the injury happened at a babysitter rather than just a friend's or neighbor's house. I mean, she happens to be a friend and a neighbor, if anyone would ask. But good point.

pointyshoes

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 5:21 am
U have to b a certain type to babysit iykwim;) I only love my own kids and cbbs to put up with others ppls kids tantrums. Im just not that type to b crazy about any kid I meet and its not fair on a childAlthough it seems like a real option if ur one of those patient ppl. Also, imagine juggling lets say 2 young babies and 2 toddlers. Wouldnt u finish the day as a wreck??

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 10:19 am
I would, but my babysitter seems soooo cool. When I've gone to pick up my kids I have found anything from napping toddlers and baby while sitter calmly feeds and cuddles another baby, to toddlers entertaining each other with toys while a baby or two sleep... always peaceful, clean, which is not to say I haven't heard kids crying ever because that's life but the sitter has it totally under control. Different strokes for different folks. I am the kind of person who needs regular breaks from mothering.

self-actualization

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 10:41 am
After many, many years of working in jobs that were unfriendly to mothers, my current job is actually very friendly to work-life balance. Everyone on our team is encouraged to work from home once a month.

I've been doing this since May, so I already worked from home 3 times. For me, it only works when I also have a babysitter and all of the kids are out of the house or napping. It doesn't work when I need to run errands or cook for Shabbos. Unfortunately, because of my reality as a frum person, I need to schedule many of the work from home days on Friday, but I don't think that anyone really benefits from this. What I plan to do going forward is leave any easy administrative tasks for the work-from-home day so that I can be busy but don't need to concentrate too much.

So, back to your question, I think that employers don't like to have a full-time work-from-home employee unless there is a specific work product that they can evaluate at the end (such as graphic design). For other lines of work, employers correctly assume that a working mother who is at home without a babysitter will not be able to focus as well as she would in the office. That's why work-from-home jobs tend to be hard to find or don't pay very well.

Have you looked into medical billing? I hear that that can be done from home but might not pay well.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 11:09 am
Many employers have very strict work at home rules. Some require designated work spaces, secure networks, and child care if there are children in the home. Many years ago I worked in computer hardware and it was in the early days of programers telecommuting. Employees signed work at home contracts and were required to submit work at home progress reports.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers