Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Steamer for DS's shirts?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 7:26 pm
DS is entering grade where he needs to wear buttondown shirts.
Founds short sleeve shirts which is what he wants but they look wrinkly. I don't want to dryclean his school shirts and I despise ironing. Is a steamer a good investment and will it take wrinkles out of buttondown shirts good enough? I don't need it to be perfect but definitely neat.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:26 pm
How old is ds? Teach him to iron his own shirts--under your supervision if he's very young. In the long run it'll be worth every aggravating moment you invested, even worth a scorched shirt or two. (Mild scorch marks can be erased with peroxide--yes, the stuff you put on cuts & scrapes.)

GOOD steamers of professional quality are very expensive and take up quite a bit of space--IMO not worth it for a schoolboy's shirts, but you can use them for anything you'd rather not or can't press, such as suits, jackets, drapes, hats and velvet gowns. Small, inexpensive steamers are borderline useless and not worth the plastic they are made of, except maybe to steam stamps off envelopes.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 9:26 pm
We have a mini steamer thing that is definitely not professional quality or expensive but it takes out wrinkles from shirts just fine. It's not really that much easier than ironing except that I don't have space in my home for an ironing board, and the mini steamer lives on a shelf in the bathroom and can be used with clothes hanging from the shower curtain rod.

Definitely invest in "wrinkle free" shirts but even those need touching up sometimes and that's when we use the steamer. But DO NOT BUY shirts that aren't "wrinkle-free" or "no-iron" or "easy-care" or whatever they call it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry