Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What type of refrigerator will maximize my space?

baltomom

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 2:33 pm
I'm looking to buy a new refrigerator. My old one is a traditional top-freezer; the only problem I've had with it (until it broke) is not having sufficient space, so I have to store extra milk containers etc. in my downstairs fridge. The old one is 22 cubic feet, but we have space for a larger refrigerator--up to 36 inches wide and 71 inches tall.

In researching my options, I've found out that I could get an LG similar to my current one but slightly larger (24 cubic feet). The other options (25 or 26 cubic feet) are french doors with a bottom drawer freezer and side-by-side fridge/freezer. Which of these options will give me the maximum refrigerator space? I have a large freezer in the basement so I basically use my freezer for in-use items (bags of frozen vegetables, loaves of bread, some prepared foods etc) while I store challos, kugels, containers of soup, etc, downstairs. I wouldn't mind having more freezer space upstairs but the fridge space is more important for me.

My concerns about the drawer freezer are: Are kids likely to get into there? Is it very hard to find things buried underneath?

And about the side-by-side: the freezer seems to have more space, but I'm not so sure about the fridge space?

Can you please share your experiences? Thanks!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 2:49 pm
We have a French door with a drawer. The fridge is MUCH more useable. I had to teach the kids not to open the freezer without permission. After the initial curiosity and punishments, it doesn't happen so much.
If you remove the ice maker you have more space. Be smart in your packing methods. We also have a freezer for extra meat, chicken, frozen veggies, challah...

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 2:54 pm
In my professional experience as a kitchen designer, most people prefer a French door or other bottom freezer over a side by side. About 90% of trips to the refrigerator are to the fridge part rather than the freezer, so keeping the easiest places to reach as refrigerator makes a lot of sense. Other plusses are the ability to put milk items on one side and meat on the other, and the ability to hold really wide items like deli trays and pizzas.

That's my personal experience as well, and I own this huge French door fridge: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-b......html

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 3:00 pm
French door is the way to go - I am an amateur user :-)

Besides the convenience of having refrigerated items accessible on top, a freezer on the bottom is better in terms of efficiency since heat rises. Even a single door/bottom freezer is recommended over a top freezer if one doesn't have room.

Side by sides (IMO) are the worst because you have two narrow storage components which cuts considerably into flexibility if you want to chill platters or wider items.

I don't find having freezer on the bottom is more difficult to organize than having to deal with items at the back of a standard freezer with a door instead of a drawer that pulls out. As others have posted, most people retrieve items from the freezer far less frequently than from the refrigerator and one can certainly organize by having frequently accessed items at the front of the top drawer.

sourstix

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 7:20 pm
yes but then you have this heavy drawer to pull out, if the kid wants ices or you want to get ice. which is quite frequent in the summer. and side by side you have still quite wide the shelves. they are not narrower bec its side by side I just looked to see. no difference you just have more fridge space in the french door one. thats the difference. if you want more fridge space then french might be it. but I did hear that the freezer becomes a mess then. I have side by side and I am fine.

Miri7

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:06 pm
I much prefer the French doors with the freezer below. I find illness fridge space to be a lot more usable, especially when cooking for big Shabbat and YT meals. After having both now, I would not buy a side by side again.

thanks

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:09 pm
I had a French door and did not like it. The fridge was hard to organize and the freezer was horrible. Maybe I'm the only one.

When I remodeled the kitchen, I put in a counter depth fridge and freezer.

nylon

Post Sun, Aug 16 2015, 8:37 pm
I have a side by side (put in by the previous owners) and would very much prefer a French door especially now that I have a deep freezer. I hate bending into crispers and I hate that the fridge is so narrow.

modehani

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 1:13 am
Another vote for French doors here. I find it much easier to fit things than my previous side by side. But I would be sure to get one with a Shabbos mode, as some new models have lights that can't be turned off (no button you can tape down and no way to remove the bulbs). Star-k has a list of manufacturers with Shabbos mode refrigerators.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 2:56 am
I don't find the drawer heavy, it has a good gasket, so you have to give a pull to break the seal. Having a top view makes it easier to organize.
We got French since most doors open to the left and we need right. The doors also take up less space when opened into the not-so-large kitchen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen