Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How many guests should I invite to a sheva brachot?

rimon613

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 4:42 am
Also how long should a sheva brachot last?
*they are sephardic

Last edited by rimon613 on Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Brownies

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:34 am
This is a very strange question.

Can you tell me how many guests Ashkenazim invite to a sheva brachot and how long each one is?

Brownies

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 6:06 am
Ok you changed your question so now my original reply seems a bit silly.

However I still don't see what the fact that they are Sephardim has to do with anything. More to the point would be what kind of people they are, what circles they move in etc. Sephardi semachot can range from extravagant, invite-everyone-you-know affairs, to very basic, modest parties. Being Sephardi myself I have been invited to all types, the same way as I've been invited to many different types of Ashkenazi weddings and sheva berachot.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 6:06 am
You need a minyan, and ashkenazim have at least one guest who was not at the chasuna.

I don't know the different sefardi rules, but it will also depend on which community - moroccan, syrian, adeni, spanish/Portuguese etc. There is more variation between sefardim than between sefardim/ ashkenazim.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 9:21 am
How many sheva brachot guests does it take to change a light bulb?

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 2:03 pm
Depends on what your budget is and how big the space you're making it in is.

Unless sephardim have some special sheva brachos rituals that take a lot of time, I'd guesstimate about 2 hours but reserve 3 to allow for things like starting late and going over. Think food, maybe two speeches/divrei torah, and some more food. Food depends how fancy or complicated you want - you could theoretically serve a full five-course simcha meal or you could do appetizer-main-dessert or just one buffet style setup and dessert. Totally depends on your style/preference. Also if it's on a weeknight you might just want to cut down because people don't want to be out for so long on a weeknight.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 12:08 pm
If you don't have a minyan then it's not halachically a 7B but you can do it anyway. You do not need 7 7B lol. You can simply have fewer if those you do are not halachically 7b...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics