Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Rosh Hashana Cooking and Freezing
Previous  1  2  3

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 4:13 pm
I have a pack of cabbage which is almost going bad. Can I sauté it in oil, add some pastrami and freeze for yom tov?
Will it taste fresh?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:36 pm
IMHopinion wrote:
I have a pack of cabbage which is almost going bad. Can I sauté it in oil, add some pastrami and freeze for yom tov?
Will it taste fresh?
If it's not bad yet then you can do so. Smell and taste it raw before you sauté it. If it tastes even a bit off don't do it.

chayamiriam

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 6:10 pm
Does anyone have the exact proportions for the chicken swarma marinade .. Sounds wonderful tx

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:37 pm
Thanks ra mom.
It's still fresh, however I don't see when I'll use it in the next few days so I thought of freezing.

morecoffeeplease

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 7:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It might be a Hungarian dish. It's definitely eastern European. My dh's family eats it a lot, they seem to like it on Yom Tov, though not specifically for Rosh Hashana. I started making it when I realized it was dish that tastes great reheated, so I make it in advance Wink It's served hot as a side dish.

Thanks!

saw50st8

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 7:59 am
I am so uninspired. I'm thinking of repeating half of last years menu and just swapping which meals I serve it so that my regular company doesn't know. Except for my sleepover guests who come every year LOL.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 9:16 am
saw50st8 wrote:
I am so uninspired. I'm thinking of repeating half of last years menu and just swapping which meals I serve it so that my regular company doesn't know. Except for my sleepover guests who come every year LOL.

Why is using a tried and true menu uninspiring? Very Happy

saw50st8

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 10:34 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Why is using a tried and true menu uninspiring? Very Happy

Rosh Hashana is one of the few holidays I go "whole hog" (pardon the treif expression LOL). I like to make new and fun things. I found this and will definitely try to make it:

http://www.joyofkosher.com/#!/recipes/individual-pomegranate-tarts/

questioner

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 11:45 am
ra_mom and /or everyone else, do you have any ideas for main dishes that can be cooked / served in two different ways. We are a small-ish family, and a roast / package of chicken could last us a few seudos, but I like some variety without too much work.
Are there any tricks like take chicken / meat and add these spices / sauce to some and something else to the other so that it feels like two different dishes?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 2:28 pm
questioner wrote:
ra_mom and /or everyone else, do you have any ideas for main dishes that can be cooked / served in two different ways. We are a small-ish family, and a roast / package of chicken could last us a few seudos, but I like some variety without too much work.
Are there any tricks like take chicken / meat and add these spices / sauce to some and something else to the other so that it feels like two different dishes?
I like making roast beef, cooking and freezing the slices and the cooking liquid separately. Can be served warmed in the cooking liquid with just some extra salt, or with a sweet sauce or a savory sauce or at room temperature over a salad.

You can use half a package of ground meat for stuffed cabbage and half for a meat roll or meat bourekas.

Corned beef can be served warm in its own juices or with a sweet sauce. Or you can slice half to serve warm in its juices and cube the other half to serve in a sweet sauce poured over rice.

Roast chicken can be made fresh and half can be cubed and made into chicken pot pie with some puff pastry on top.

I usually make a whole roast (a few different ones). Freeze half wrapped in foil and sealed one a Ziploc. The other half frozen separately. Then I use one half during RH and the other half Succos. Or one half the first days and one half the second days. And I will sometimes use a different sauce with each half.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 4:19 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Rosh Hashana is one of the few holidays I go "whole hog" (pardon the treif expression LOL). I like to make new and fun things. I found this and will definitely try to make it:

http://www.joyofkosher.com/#!/recipes/individual-pomegranate-tarts/

Beautiful!
We're both right, though Wink

BeHappy!

Post Sat, Aug 15 2015, 10:43 pm
questioner wrote:
Are there any tricks like take chicken / meat and add these spices / sauce to some and something else to the other so that it feels like twoo different dishes?

I bake a minute steak, slice when cold and freeze portions. When I want to use it, I take out a portion and just make a sauce for it. I make different sauces depending on what we are in the mood of.

hycup

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 3:23 am
[quote="BeHappy!"]I bake a minute steak, slice when cold and freeze portions. When I want to use it, I take out a portion and just make a sauce for it. I make different sauces depending on what we are in the mood of.[/quote]

Can you explain how you make the minute steak please. Do you bake it with out any spices? What kind of sauces do you make? Do you make them separately and than just pour them on before serving, or do you pour them on and than bake the steak a bit more?

Smile1234

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 3:39 am
chayamiriam wrote:
Does anyone have the exact proportions for the chicken swarma marinade .. Sounds wonderful tx

Theres one in the imamother cookbook
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus