Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Rosh hashana related "desserts"

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 2:04 pm
I am looking to put together a package of things related to the simanim for rosh hashana, not actual food for the meal, more like something that can be noshed on during the day. Likely be used for a get together for my friends. So far I thought of fish shaped cookies and carrot muffins. Any ideas what I can do that is related to apples n honey, or pomegranates?

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 2:09 pm
I like this recipe. I bet you could use a mini muffin pan if you want to make single servings. http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 2:14 pm
Apple honey cake for. Just add sliced apples to your regular honey cake and bake it in muffin cups.

Debbig

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:26 pm
I made these last year they where a hit. http://overtimecook.com/2014/0.....arts/

srbmom

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 6:35 pm
These are yum!
http://overtimecook.com/2012/0.....kies/

Rosemarie

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 7:22 pm
Those both look yum! Thanks for all the ideas. Any ideas for nosh/nuts/chocolate... kind of things? Like dried apples, but something more original. I don't only want baked goods

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 7:37 pm
Pomegranate chocolate bark
Apple fruit leather rolled and tied with honey sticks

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 7:43 pm
Honey Pomegranate Mandelbrot

Leah Koenig

Long before pomegranates became known as a healthy super food–linked to everything from improving cardiovascular health, to preventing cancer, to abating erectile dysfunction–they were a mainstay of Jewish cuisine.

Included in Deuteronomy 8:8 as one of the seven species of Israel (along with wheat, barley, grapes, figs, olives, and dates) and mythologized to contain 613 seeds in every fruit, pomegranates are, without doubt, one of Jewish tradition's most sacred and celebrated foods.

As a symbol of fertility and love, the pomegranate shows up multiple times in the Jewish canon's most famous love poem, The Song of Songs. For example (4:3): “Your lips are like a crimson thread; your mouth is lovely. Your brow behind your veil [gleams] like a pomegranate split open.” Not surprisingly, the red, spherical fruit also regularly shows up as an artistic theme on ketubot, challah covers, and other marriage and family-focused Judaica..

Ingredients

1 egg white
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, diced
1 cup chocolate chips
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
3 cups flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons 100% pomegranate juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons honey
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Directions

Mix together oil, pomegranate juice, honey, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Mix in eggs and orange zest, if using. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt to combine. Fold in chocolate chips and crystallized ginger. Batter should be quite thick.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spoon the batter into two side-by-side rows on the sheet, each approximately 8 inches long by 4 inches wide. Brush the top of each row with beaten egg and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.

Bake until top of dough is firm and dry, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce heat to 300. Slice into 3/4 inch thick pieces, and rearrange on the baking sheet so the pieces do not touch one another.

Replace the baking sheet in the oven for another 20-30 minutes to dry the cookies, turning once after 10-15 minutes.

kb

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 8:26 pm
Apple turnovers. Fruit tart garnished with pomegranate seeds. Pom ice cream.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 17 2015, 8:44 pm
Dark Chocolate Bark With Pomegranates

Chocolate bark is the workhorse of homemade holiday gifts, and in Tom Faglon's version, he scatters fresh pomegranate seeds over the surface, where they glisten like rubies. Chewy bits of candied ginger are hidden inside the bittersweet chocolate, lying in wait to surprise you with their spiciness. Then, to make things even more interesting, Mr. Faglon strews the top with crunchy sea salt. This bark is as sweet and juicy as a box of chocolate-covered cherries, but a lot more sophisticated.

ETA Drain the pomegranate seeds well on a paper towel so they will adhere to the chocolate better.

INGREDIENTS

140 grams dark (bittersweet) chocolate pieces (5 ounces)
20 grams minced crystallized ginger (2 tablespoons)
140 grams fresh pomegranate seeds (1 cup)
6 grams flaky sea salt (1 teaspoon)

PREPARATION

Fit a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Place the chocolate in the bowl and stir until fully melted, about 5 minutes. (I melt chocolate in the microwave). Remove the bowl from the pot and stir the crystallized ginger and half of the pomegranate seeds into the melted chocolate.

Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour melted chocolate mixture onto the sheet. Use a spatula to smooth the chocolate into one even layer about 1/4 inch thick (it does not need to fill the entire sheet). Sprinkle chocolate with remaining pomegranate seeds and sea salt.
T
6. Refrigerate until fully set, about 30 minutes.

7. Break the bark into chunks with your hands (be careful not to crush the seeds), and serve. The bark will keep, refrigerated, for up to 5 days

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

pause

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 10:51 am
Rosemarie wrote:
Those both look yum! Thanks for all the ideas. Any ideas for nosh/nuts/chocolate... kind of things? Like dried apples, but something more original. I don't only want baked goods

Many people don't do nuts during Aseres Yemei Teshuva.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 11:06 am
Apple Roses: http://cookingwithmanuela.blog......html

Pomegranate Sorbet: http://www.loveandoliveoil.com......html

Pomegranate Tarts: http://www.joyofkosher.com/#!/recipes/individual-pomegranate-tarts/

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 12:23 pm
pause wrote:
Many people don't do nuts during Aseres Yemei Teshuva.

That's only for egoz = walnuts, specifically.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 3:54 pm
HONEY CAKE MUFFINS

JOY OF KOSHER

12 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS

3 Eggs
11/3 cups honey
11/2 cups sugar
1 cup strong black coffee (brewed)
3 tbsp. margarine, soft
2 tsp. baking powder
1 ts. baking soda
4 cups Flour
1 tsp. cinnamon

PREPARATION

1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 Grease and flour 12-cup muffin tin.
3 In a large bowl, beat eggs and honey together. Add sugar, coffee and margarine mix again.
4 Add baking powder, baking soda, flour, and cinnamon and beat together until combined.
5 Pour batter into muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

innovative mom

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:22 pm
Amarante wrote:
Dark Chocolate Bark With Pomegranates

Chocolate bark is the workhorse of homemade holiday gifts, and in Tom Faglon's version, he scatters fresh pomegranate seeds over the surface, where they glisten like rubies. Chewy bits of candied ginger are hidden inside the bittersweet chocolate, lying in wait to surprise you with their spiciness. Then, to make things even more interesting, Mr. Faglon strews the top with crunchy sea salt. This bark is as sweet and juicy as a box of chocolate-covered cherries, but a lot more sophisticated.

INGREDIENTS

140 grams dark (bittersweet) chocolate pieces (5 ounces)
20 grams minced crystallized ginger (2 tablespoons)
140 grams fresh pomegranate seeds (1 cup)
6 grams flaky sea salt (1 teaspoon)

PREPARATION

Fit a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Place the chocolate in the bowl and stir until fully melted, about 5 minutes. (I melt chocolate in the microwave). Remove the bowl from the pot and stir the crystallized ginger and half of the pomegranate seeds into the melted chocolate.

Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour melted chocolate mixture onto the sheet. Use a spatula to smooth the chocolate into one even layer about 1/4 inch thick (it does not need to fill the entire sheet). Sprinkle chocolate with remaining pomegranate seeds and sea salt.
T
6. Refrigerate until fully set, about 30 minutes.

7. Break the bark into chunks with your hands (be careful not to crush the seeds), and serve. The bark will keep, refrigerated, for up to 5 days

Where would I be able to find crystallized ginger? Thanks.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 9:32 pm
innovative mom wrote:
Where would I be able to find crystallized ginger? Thanks.

Depending on where you live, a place that sells a good assortment of nuts and spices should have.

You can order from ohnuts.com.

http://www.ohnuts.com/buy.cfm/.....lized
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus