Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How sick to have to stay home from school?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:17 am
I just started sending my toddlers out and was looking forward to some quiet time to get back to myself.

This morning toddler A woke up with a cough which I think may turn into a cold. Do I need to keep the kid home from school?

With two toddlers, it feels like they're forever sick. With the average kid getting 1-2 colds per month, and a cold lasting a week, sometimes more, I feel like I'll forever be home with one or both of them. This year, there's almost always been someone sick (cold).

And I wonder how I'll manage going back to work like this.

How sick do kids need to be in order for them to stay home?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:21 am
I draw the line at

1) fever so bad that they keep falling asleep
2) throwing up

Everything else - a cough, sneezing, runny nose, low fever that doesn't seem to bother them - as long as they're cheerful and happy they go to school. Or, like you say, they'd be home all the time, for long stretches of time.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:24 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I draw the line at

1) fever so bad that they keep falling asleep
2) throwing up

Everything else - a cough, sneezing, runny nose, low fever that doesn't seem to bother them - as long as they're cheerful and happy they go to school. Or, like you say, they'd be home all the time, for long stretches of time.

Fever means stay home.... It's not fair to the other kids and teachers who can catch it and fever means that are fighting a real virus or infections. Anything above 100.4 is fever. Just a runny nose or cough they go to school - unless they really don't feel and look good. Also pink eye no school till they get eye drops bc it's also contagoius..

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:27 am
Thank you for making me feel better.

I was feeling like such a mean mother (or was planning to keep the kid home today).

I felt bad for everyone else at school, but if I'll keep them home for every cold one or both will always be home.

morah

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:30 am
It's not about how sick as much as particular symptoms. A cough or runny nose is not does not necessarily mean they have to stay home. A fever, you have to keep home as well as if there's vomiting/diarrhea, or a rash(unless you know for sure it's an allergy and not anything contagious).

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:37 am
amother wrote:
Fever means stay home.... It's not fair to the other kids and teachers who can catch it and fever means that are fighting a real virus or infections. Anything above 100.4 is fever. Just a runny nose or cough they go to school - unless they really don't feel and look good. Also pink eye no school till they get eye drops bc it's also contagoius..

Runny noses and coughs are also generally contagious.

Smile1234

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 6:20 am
amother wrote:
Thank you for making me feel better.

I was feeling like such a mean mother (or was planning to keep the kid home today).

I felt bad for everyone else at school, but if I'll keep them home for every cold one or both will always be home.

Where do you think they caught the cold/cough/runny nose... in the first place?? School!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 6:57 am
If a child had fever after 6 the night before, no school the next day.

(from my kid's pediatrician)

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 7:00 am
I keep my kids home if they have fever, something contagious, or are throwing up. A simple cold or cough is normal and I won't keep them home for that.

sky

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 10:50 am
Chayalle wrote:
If a child had fever after 6 the night before, no school the next day.

(from my kid's pediatrician)

this.

Or vomiting or diarrhea

Or if they are in a lot of pain (like fluid in the ear).

chatz

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 11:00 am
A fever or if they're completely miserable

lucky14

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 11:10 am
I work at a school. If parents kept their kids home every time they had a cough or cold some children would miss a very big chunk of the year. Please keep your kids home if they have a fever, or something contagious that's more serious then a small cough or cold (pink eye, worms, etc).

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 3:02 pm
Mild cough/cold you just can't control. Plus, everyone else will be sending their mild coughs/colds to school anyway so keeping yours home isn't really going to help anyone.

A severe cough/cold I would keep home, though, even with no fever. Like if the nose is running like a faucet and/or dripping green goo. I think that's just a menace to send for the daycare to take care of. Or if the kid looks/acts sick - most kids even with a typical cold seem to function OK (I'm knocked out for days from those. They just keep on goin' runny nose and all)

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 5:27 am
Since I last posted, my kids have been home, really sick, for days more than I could count.

Now one has a terrible cough. I really want to send him to school; he's been home enough and we're almost having a week off. This child has a weak respiratory system, so little coughs/colds turn (moderately) severe quite fast. Can I send him anyway? He's not acting sick otherwise. And I only managed to get a doctors appointment later in the afternoon.

I know it sounds mean, but I don't want him home today:(

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:27 am
When kids start going to school/playgroup for the first time, they tend to get sick. a lot. I would not keep home a child for a cough/runny nose unless they are miserable. check it out at the dr when you have a chance though.

doublemama

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
Since I last posted, my kids have been home, really sick, for days more than I could count.

Now one has a terrible cough. I really want to send him to school; he's been home enough and we're almost having a week off. This child has a weak respiratory system, so little coughs/colds turn (moderately) severe quite fast. Can I send him anyway? He's not acting sick otherwise. And I only managed to get a doctors appointment later in the afternoon.

I know it sounds mean, but I don't want him home today:(

Yeah it does sound mean. If your child is sick enough that you feel he needs a Dr appt then keep him home! I don't think you really need to ask this question. You will have more than enough 'you time' when the kids are grown up and out of the house. Why on earth would you send a sick child who you already know is quite susceptible to respiratory infections to a cesspool of germs?????? Especially when he might already be cooking up something serious.
When a child has been very sick for a week and then developed a bad cough they are still sick imo. Wait until you get the all clear from the Dr!
Please, please, please think of the poor child

fbc

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:44 am
As a teacher of toddlers (about 16 in a class), I can tell you, one of our jobs is running around the room to clean your kids runny noses Smile that we don't mind at all. It happens. If you wouldn't send your kid when they have a cold/cough, they might as well cancel school, especially come winter time! It's when a parent comes in and says "dc was throwing up last night/had fever last night/diarrhea last night or this morning/just doesn't look good but nothings really wrong" that's when it's not fair, and we usually end up sending the kid back home. Those are things that require staying home! Yes even if your child just doesn't look herself, is acting sluggish, but nothing is "really wrong" it could mean she is coming down with something, and it's not fair to the other toddlers or the teachers if we have to tend to one child most of the time. From my experience, those kids end up falling asleep in class and waking up with a fever. I know it's so inconvenient for parents to have their kids at home, but it's just not fair for the other students and teachers, who could also get sick, and have other children to tend to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics