Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is the job worth it?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 11:14 am
My husband is BH happy in kollel and ideally would learn forever, but knows its not realistic:( . He'd love to work as a high school/ Bais medrish rebbi, but has no good contacts or pull. We're doing fine financially, making ends meet and have savings, so we decided to continue for now but he's open if something comes up.
Well, something came up. He has opportunity to be shaul umeishiv in a small yeshiva. Problem is, it means leaving whole day of kollel for just two hours. Pay will be significantly less than he is getting now and won't be enough to cover monthly budget.
The question is if its worth it just for the experience. He doesn't know how much it will help him find a better job, but everyone is saying this is the first step towards getting something better.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 11:44 am
Doesn't sound like a good job to me. Can he wait (look) for one that would pay him at least what he's making now?

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 11:47 am
That does not sound like a very good idea since it will not further his ability to get a better job in the future.

Maybe he should wait for a job as a Rebbi (even part time) which will further his career.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 12:03 pm
On the one hand he can use the afternoon hours to maybe find something else, but I'm sort of nervous about the lack of structure

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 12:15 pm
As someone experienced in the field (administrator of my husband's yeshiva) I will tell you that it is VERY difficult to get any type of position at all. Experience is worth gold.

Famous story regarding a candidate who calls the menahel of a mesivta:
Rabbi CA: So I was wondering if you have any positions open
Rabbi M: Not at the moment, but I can put you on my list. You're number 784.

Rabbi C: Em, I would actually be very happy to accept a position without pay, for the experience, you know.
Rabbi M: Well, in that case, you can be candidate number 329.

Rabbi C: Well, you know what, I will actually be happy to get a very large contribution to your yeshiva to help defray some of the costs of training me, if that would help.
Rabbi M: Okay, now you are in position number 165.

In short, if your husband has an opportunity to get some experience, he should probably grab it. Hopefully he can fill in the rest of his day with a morning kollel or a night kollel that pays, or tutoring first or second seder, whenever he is free. He should certainly explore all possible options but don't waste this offer!!!

Fave

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
As someone experienced in the field (administrator of my husband's yeshiva) I will tell you that it is VERY difficult to get any type of position at all. Experience is worth gold.

Famous story regarding a candidate who calls the menahel of a mesivta:
Rabbi CA: So I was wondering if you have any positions open
Rabbi M: Not at the moment, but I can put you on my list. You're number 784.

Rabbi C: Em, I would actually be very happy to accept a position without pay, for the experience, you know.
Rabbi M: Well, in that case, you can be candidate number 329.

Rabbi C: Well, you know what, I will actually be happy to get a very large contribution to your yeshiva to help defray some of the costs of training me, if that would help.
Rabbi M: Okay, now you are in position number 165.

In short, if your husband has an opportunity to get some experience, he should probably grab it. Hopefully he can fill in the rest of his day with a morning kollel or a night kollel that pays, or tutoring first or second seder, whenever he is free. He should certainly explore all possible options but don't waste this offer!!!

This - experience in the Yeshiva field is worth a lot. It will be a stepping stone to a better job.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 12:25 pm
If he wants to be a rebbi, can he do this job and fill the rest of the day doing things like tutoring that will get him experience working with the population he wants to teach? Maybe there are courses he can take in education? Anything that gives him more of a leg up to apply for the teaching jobs he wants would be good I would think.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics