Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleanup after supper
Previous  1  2

Fave

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 12:33 pm
I cook earlier in the day (before work) and transfer all food into disposable pans. I wash all pots and cooking utensils as soon as I finish cooking - which is easier since I'm not tired yet from a full day and kitchen is not dirty from after school and supper chaos.

I use mostly disposables for supper - so the after supper/end of the day cleanup is minimum.

I like to time myself - which helps with motivation and speed.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 12:36 pm
I don't know how to start the motivation, but I find it easier to leave the sink for last...I work my way linearly through the kitchen, wiping down the counter and stovetop as I throw things in the sink as I'm clearing them. Then I finish the stuff in the sink whenever I get around to that and clean it up.

doublemama

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 12:36 pm
I also hate cleaning up after supper but I do dearly love my after dinner cup of tea. So I set the pot on and try to get everything done before it whistles. I can time it perfectly as to I can get the dishwasher loaded, tables/counters wiped before I put in the tea bag and then that gives me just enough time to do a quick sweep and mop. If I waste time my tea will either oversteep or sit there getting cold while I finish my chores. It motivates me like nothing else will!!

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 3:29 pm
I use some disposables for the kids, as I like to eat with real cutlery....
My method for.cleanup is as follows:
During food prep, I wash all used dishes and put in drainboard. After supper I put away the (usually) now dry dishes. First the table is cleared and cleaned if necessary. Then I start from one side if the kitchen: wash the stove, then the counter between stove and sink, then all the dishes, then the next counter.(anything that doesn't fit in the sink till now stays on second counter.) When this counter is done, I do the same thing in the opposite side of the kitchen. (Usually only one side is really messy on a given night, the other is only slightly, so I start with the messier side just in case.I'm too tired to finish....) the last step is to sweep the floors and shut the lights....
Good luck!!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 4:14 pm
I don't know when everyone has time to do all of this after supper. I go deal with the kids. It's not like there is another adult in the house. If they don't need me for five or ten minutes, I sit down and rest. Dinner with my kids is nice, but not relaxing. Cleanup is for night after bedtime. Or not. I have left pasta out overnight more times than I will admit to.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 4:17 pm
I usually let myself relax once the kids are in bed and we've all had supper. Once I am calm again usually after 30 minutes or so we take off whatever is left on the table (the kids take their own plates to the sink after they have finished).
My dh and I do it together one does the stuff that has to go away like drinks ketchup and the other does plates dishes and pots and pans on the stove all into the sink. Then we each take a sink (milky and meaty) and watch a movie whilst washing up. Whoever finishes first wipes down all the sides and if the floor is very badly dirty, sweeps the floor.

It doesn't take more than 30 minutes or 40 if we are schlepping. We make it fun it is a time to catch up, chat and chill whilst getting things done.
My kitchen is the main room of my house so I hate going to bed without it being clean. Not spotless (that rarely happens) but clean and tidy so I don't walk in there in the AM and get upset.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics