Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Deep fryer?

SS6099

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 2:22 pm
Anyone here use a deep fryer? I heard it's healthier than frying and I was wondering on some experience/opinions? If yes, which to recommend?
Thanks.

mamsegula

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 2:30 pm
Hi there,
I'm not sure that any frying is healthier than another. But I recently got an airfry, or actifry, from Tefal and it will fry most things using only 1 tbs of oil. I love the frenchfries. I've also made tuna patties and falafel, and it's great. I have a friend who bought one to make shnitzel in:) Anyhow, it's also much easier to clean than the deepfry.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 2:41 pm
I don't know what you mean by frying versus deep frying in terms of health. Frying isn't particularly healthy whatever pan or appliance is used.

However, the advantage of deep frying in a fryer is that you can theoretically regulate the temperature more easily than on a stove. There is an art to frying well - if the temperature is too low, the oil absorbs too much and the food becomes very greasy and not crisp. If the temperature is too high, the food browns too early and food isn't cooked.

Unless you plan to deep fry a LOT of the time, it's a waste of money and space - IMO. You can achieve the same desirable result by putting oil in a heavy pot and using a thermometer to check temperature if you aren't an experienced cook who can judge temperature by the look.

But it's "hype" to sell machines to say that the food is fried "healthier" in their machine because there really isn't any healthy fried battered food as compared to roasted, oven "fried, sautéed in a small amount of oil etc. Fried foods should be eaten for special occasions.

SS6099

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 6:11 pm
Thanks for the feedback. No, I don't plan on frying a lot so both the deep fryer and the Tefal Actifry will have to wait then Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen