Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Best Credit Card for Hotel points?

Mevater

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 4:13 pm
I have a friend who is always staying at high class hotels all over US because of the credit cards she opens, and gets points for each card. She recommends Starwoods (SPG), IHG, HiltonHonors, etc.

On another thread someone recommended checking Dansdeals for the best credit cards. I already have the Citi Mastercard Cash back. I think Id benefit more by changing to a card with travel points benefits, is that right?

Whats the best way to choose one or two cards, and keep track of spending only the required amount for the bonus points offered when you open the card, and then every month until you reach the rewuired points? To someone who hasnt done this, its dizzying.

How do you stay organized?

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 4:19 pm
According to Dan himself the best are the Amex SPG (which I have and is very worth it) or the Citi Marriott rewards which currently has a special sign up bonus.

Note: Even with the SPG, I stayed for 7 nights in a hotel in FLL, it was a basic room, I was upgraded to ocean view though which was nice. And using points doesn't include resort fees or parking which costs another bucket load but the points saved me a nice $1500.

doctorima

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 9:30 pm
Just for regular spending you're not going to accumulate enough to get you too far at hotels. It's the sign-up bonuses that make a big difference. Currently you can get 80,000 Marriott points for spending $3,000 in 3 months on the Chase Marriott card (not Citi). If you and DH both get that, it can go far. It also comes with a free e-certificate for a free 1-night stay at any category 1-4 Marriott property (valid for 6 months). On the anniversary you get an e-certificate for a free night at a category 1-5.

The Chase IHG card usually has a nice sign-up bonus as well. SPG is good for general spending, and the sign-up bonus now is better than usual, but is only 30,000 points for spending $3,000 (it's usually 25,000 for spending $5000). There's also 2 Hilton cards, 1 from AmEx and 1 from Citi, but I find that getting good redemptions at Hilton is harder than the others (they charge much more points even for basic properties).

If you really get into it, many of these cards also come in business versions, so you can get 2 of each, plus 2 for DH, which can add up quickly, if you can meet and pay off the spending requirements.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics