Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Boss is a jerk

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 8:54 pm
When your boss does something jerky to someone with whom he is working to get a deal done would you tell him off. I am so upset abut this he basically made another guy lose a few thousand dollars when it could have worked out.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 9:01 pm
Not if you want to keep your job.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 9:55 pm
What type of working relationship do you have with your boss?

I don't think it would be a good idea to tell you boss off. If you absolutely feel you have to speak up I would say things very diplomatically and politely and point out how the actions were not in the best interest of the company and recommend a different approach for the future: " I was disappointed in how the last deal worked out; seems like MR XYZ lost a lot of money in the deal and it caused hurt feelings and it might cause our company to have a bad reputation. In my opinion, it might be better in the future if the company handles a situation like this differently, something more beneficial for all parties involved. Makes for a better reputation for us, helps generate positive word of mouth and will help get us positive reviews online .. Etc.". Don't make it about what he did, but how a different approach might be more beneficial financially for the company in the long run.

My other thoughts on this subject, if you have a bad boss and you're not happy working there, I would seriously consider looking for another job. It's just not worth if for your sanity to work for a not nice person. I had an experience where I was working with a not professional boss and was very unhappy. I changed jobs and now have a wonderful boss and am so happy in my current position.

cookiecutter

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 7:35 am
I used to get frustrated about stuff like this until a friend explained that dealing with it is part of the skills that help you have a successful career. She called it "managing up(ward)".

In a situation like this, you could try saying during a discussion about strategy or next steps, "Okay, I will take care of x, y, and z. I guess you're not concerned at all that if we do 'y' without explaining it to Mary, that she'll be upset and think we didn't treat her right?"

That gives the boss the opportunity to rethink without feeling challenged.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics