Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Stinky bath mat- how to get rid of mold smell??

momfor4

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 11:12 pm
Im trying to not have to throw out yet another bath mat, my kids get it super wet and it takes a while to dry, by then the mold sticks to the fibers and no matter how many times I have washed it the smell persists! how do I get the smell out??
I tried putting vinegar and baking soda in my washing machine but the smell is still there!!
I have the same problem in some towels as well. before I throw them out I want to try one last method...thank you

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 12:49 am
Clorox bleach, if you don't mind losing the color of the mat. At least you'll have a clean, mold free, fresh smelling bath mat. Btw, it's not safe to use bleach on a mat that has a rubber backing.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 1:11 am
Time to get rid of bath mats and start using towel mats. Makes such a difference in cleanliness. You can wash every day and keep a few on hand.
https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com.....66381

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 1:17 am
Arm and Hammer washing soda. (This is not baking soda.)

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 2:36 pm
Add vinegar OR baking soda, not both. When you mix the two, they react to form sodium chloride and dihydrogen monoxide, affectionately known as table salt and water, with little or no odor-fighting capability.

Borax is another odor-fighting laundry additive that also helps soften water.

Sunlight and fresh air are also odor-fighting elements because they are the enemies of mold. If you can, hang your mats on an outdoor line and let them flap in the sunny breeze for a few days. Don't leave them on the line overnight, though, because dew-damp will undo the good work that sun and fresh air did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry