Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Picture books that I would like as well as my 2 yo dd
Previous  1  2

Stars

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 1:44 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Yossi and Leibel are fun to read but if your dc is closer to 2 brace yourself for less sophisticated books. There are many Jewish books out that are age appropriate, board books, easy reader books.

But they're boring. OP is right, and you can judge by the responses here.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 2:13 pm
We love "Ten Minutes til Bedtime"

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 2:13 pm
Closer to 2 or to 3? My son who is just turning 2 around now has been loving me reading this book to him every day for the past week or so. It's not too long, and each page has a body part that we find on his body (he knew most of his, but spine, lungs, heart were all new and fun to try to teach as much as it is possible for those!) I highly doubt he gets the "mussar" of it at this age, and he just likes finding babies and mommies in it and doing the body part matching, but one day maybe he will understand to thank Hashem for his body Smile

http://amzn.to/1Lnbasn

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 2:16 pm
It's also the perfect age for Who Am I?
I can read it by heart, my kids loved looking at pictures of babies and toddlers just like them dressed up (my daughter had a crush on Doniel, the fireman, and would go to sleep at 2 with the book open to that page Wink ) and it's fun to read.

librarygirl

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 2:29 pm
I love "No Nap" by eve bunting

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 2:39 pm
The Eric Carle books are all fun.

Two favorite books we loved are "When we went to the Zoo" and "Going to Sleep on the Farm".

And finish off with Sandra Boynton's going to sleep book....They rock and rock and rock to sleep.

If you find a book you like, search ebay for other books by that author. I've found some good ones that way.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 2:58 pm
Stars wrote:
But they're boring. OP is right, and you can judge by the responses here.

That's the point. They will lack sophistication.
It's amazing how fast kids learn to count when you tell them that Mommy will only read it one or two more times Wink

bigsis144

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 3:21 pm
Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein

not Jewish-themed at all, but I found it funny Smile

___

also saying that Sandra Boynton is great.

I like Personal Penguin (it became a joke between my best friend and me when we were in shidduchim... we were each looking for a "personal penguin", I.e. a yeshiva bochur in black and white), Hippos Go Berserk, and But Not the Hippopotamus

____

Last edited by bigsis144 on Thu, Aug 20 2015, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

madys

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 3:27 pm
I don't know if someone already posted but, we loved Mo Willems' Elephant and Piggy books

Stars

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 3:27 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
That's the point. They will lack sophistication.
It's amazing how fast kids learn to count when you tell them that Mommy will only read it one or two more times Wink

I meant most jewish ones are boring/not well done.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 3:51 pm
Just checked my dd book shelf. She also enjoys Dear zoo (a lift the flap classic) and the Karen Katz series (lift the flap) where is baby's belly button, how does baby feel etc

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 4:18 pm
Stars wrote:
I meant most jewish ones are boring/not well done.

I think there are more easy reader books out now, give them a chance.
I second Mo Willems.

cbsp

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 8:26 pm
FWIW, my son's playgroup had a board version of Labels for Label. It's also abridged.

We also have the abridged board versions of Mr. Brown can moo, are you my mother, assorted "I spy" books (animals, numbers, abc) where 1 section of a regular I spy book is turned into an entire board book.

Jamberry, we're going on a bear hunt, so many bunnies (the illustrations on this one are absolutely amazing), board books from DK publishing (my first ABC, numbers, animals)

There are the books by David Sokoloff - I can do a mitzvah, I can say a Brachah, etc.

I really do like the books by Benenfeld (I go... To the Dr, dentist, school, etc) and also the Brachah Goetz books "what do you see..."

Hatzlacha!

fbc

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 8:32 pm
There's also a cute book called if you give a mouse a muffin (or something like that), I read that to my students, they love it Smile how about the old woman who lived in a shoe? I second the notion for the I go to school/doctor/wedding/shul. Oh oh! There's a book called "Hashem is here Hashem is there Hashem is truly everywhere" it's really nice!!

be good

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 9:07 pm
Each of my kids is in LOVE with Is It Shabbos Yet at that age. Without fail. Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Is-Shabb.....28021

lizard8

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 10:04 pm
I usually read books before buying them to make sure that I enjoy it. There is one book that my child took from my inlaws house and I really can't stand reading it. My daughter knows I refuse to read it, so whenever my husnabd offers to read to her she gets out that annoying one!

smss

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 10:06 pm
Oh, I just saw now that you wanted Jewish ones. Yeah I'd have to agree....while we have some, and I do read them, especially at board book stage those are NOT the ones I'd prefer to read again and again.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 9:23 am
Oops. I missed the Jewish part too.
Looking at different publishing houses there is a feature some have that lets you read a few pages of the book. There's a new book out called If You Give a Frog Some Matzah (something like that; you all know what it's a riff on) that looks adorable. Should be fun reading to you, possibly above your daughter.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room