Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What adhd medicine worked for your child

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 10:18 am
I am having such a hard time with my 11 year son. Ritalin didn't work for him we tried intuniv he got depressed and anxious!
Now Dr.started him on sraterra and he was acting awful very weak talkin weird!
What do I do Dr. tells me I still should keep him on sraterra give it time..... I can't watchhim laying there in bed so weak and saying things like he wants to die!
Dr. Says don't worry that's how he talks I am still scared of this medicine it has so many warning sign of suicide and thought s! Sorry so long! What do I tell Dr.? She said "we tried everything" you must stick this medicine out! Sorry! I Refuse to have my son on a medicine that made him so sick . Thanks tons for reading! He needs help sitting in class can't Learn!!!!!! What Sad

freedomseek

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 10:25 am
Go for a second opinion.... In the mean time do what YOU feel is right for your child .

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 10:26 am
Strattera was the worst medicine I have taken. Adderall was the most helpful. My father takes vyvanse and has only good things to say about it. He was on Adderall before.

I believe I have taken almost every stimulant out there in a 20 year span.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 11:03 am
Op here thanks for replying my husband doesn't want to go to another Dr. Its our third Dr thanks

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 11:23 am
there are other meds to try like concerta, focalin, vyvanse... dont give up.
Intuniv makes a kid very tired and lethargic. adderall wakes them up. what does he need?

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 11:27 am
OMG I'm completely horrified that a med is making your preteen son suicidal and your doctor doesn't even care shock I would get him off that yesterday.

Have you even given a try to dietary changes, such as eliminating gluten and sugar? For many, that's really all it takes. At least give it a try!

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 11:54 am
Mamabea r he needs to be up and focus on his learning. Op here! They make them sit and learn so much in yeshiva and poor kid can't stay focused. I stopped the straterrsa! My problem is how do I tell tis to the Dr. She tells me " we tried everything"and husband wo t pay for.dif. Dr.Thanks tons for all your support!Husband is not supporting me! And son hates day camp and school Help Scratching Head

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:05 pm
OP I am 31 years old. I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 6. I took meds for close to 20 years. I stopped around when I got married. I can count on both hands how many meds and combos of meds I took. Please dont let a Dr tell you that there is nothing else to do.

Are you doing the different therapies along side? That made a huge difference for me and its a main reason why I was able to wean off the meds as an adult.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:14 pm
Ok here! Thanks son is seeing someone weekly that he speaks to bh he is comfortable with him we just started him now in the summer

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:54 pm
There is a patch called daytrana

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 1:40 pm
My DD is on vyvanse, and (other than the decreased appetite) it's worked quite well.

imasinger

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 2:02 pm
Strattera was the WORST. Poor DS had stomachaches, was miserable, and no attention help. It doesn't have a great track record.

All the stimulants are similar. Concerta and Ritalin are virtually identical.

My ADHD kids take Adderall XR fo calm and concentration, and Intuniv for impulse control. You have to keep trying till you find what works.

That includes non medical things, too, like finding a yeshiva that deals with out of the box type students, charts and task lists, possibly social skills groups, exercise, careful attention to possible food irritants, etc,

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 2:29 pm
Thank you imasinger for your support and suggestions
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)