Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Jury duty letter- was just told now by my parents

freshair

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:14 am
Hey. I got married close to 3 years ago. I was talking to my mother on the phone tonight and she tells me that about 2 years ago I got a letter in the mail to her home address requesting me for jury duty but since I was out of town she forgot to tell me and she no longer has the letter. I now live back in the estates and I'm so worried that I will come to being arrested for not replying to that letter. Thoughts anyone?

teddyb

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:18 am
staystrong wrote:
Hey. I got married close to 3 years ago. I was talking to my mother on the phone tonight and she tells me that about 2 years ago I got a letter in the mail to her home address requesting me for jury duty but since I was out of town she forgot to tell me and she no longer has the letter. I now live back in the estates and I'm so worried that I will come to being arrested for not replying to that letter. Thoughts anyone?

you wont be arrested as far as I understand. you may be fined.

freshair

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:19 am
How long will that take to happen?

Mommycookies

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:23 am
you absolutely will not be arrested. They have no way to prove you received the letter unless it was certified mail you signed for AND in act you did not receive it. as long as u never signed anything you are good. Just ignore. DO NOT go down in person, that can make you liable. They will probably make u sign an affadavit.

teddyb

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:24 am
generally you get assigned another date and if you miss that one without warning then you get fined (ticket in the mail type) (based on experience of dh and my co-worker) it would have happened long before 2 years passed- more like to months

ETA maybe you got standby jury duty- the type that you call in the night before to see if you ave to go. and maybe you didnt have to go but they dunno who calls so you got off the hook. its possible.

yidisheh mama

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:32 am
If you do get fined, all you need to do is send in a letter stating that you haven't received that letter. Unless they have your signature to prove that you received the letter, they will have to dismiss the fine. It wasnt sent to your own address, so there is no problem.

smilingmom

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 12:41 am
Don't worry. Nothing will happen until you get further notices. If the notice was from the Brooklyn court, PM me and I will take care of it for you.

freshair

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 1:36 am
Thank you ladies. I feel much better now. Smilingmom- thank you so much but I'm from Jersey. Know of anyone here? Wink

My mother told me that she gets my voting letters. Should I not bother voting now either? Does one have to do with the other?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 5:16 am
Just register where you now live. Jury duty is not something they hunt you down for.
It's been a long time, ignore it and move on. If they do bother you, use the suggestions offered above.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 7:50 am
staystrong wrote:

For years I got letters to my parents and ignored them. (Even though I knew about them) Their mistake not mine. They sent it to the wrong address. Please just calm down. If they were going to hunt you down and arrest you, don't you think they would have done it by now?

Tziril Miriam

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 9:30 am
You should definitely register to vote now, at your current address. Also encourage your husband to vote. Voting is a privilege and responsibility for citizens of a democracy.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 9:34 am
staystrong wrote:
Thank you ladies. I feel much better now. Smilingmom- thank you so much but I'm from Jersey. Know of anyone here? Wink

My mother told me that she gets my voting letters. Should I not bother voting now either? Does one have to do with the other?

A friend of mine in NJ told me she tosses the letters in the trash - for years. Though I don't necessarily recommend this, this is what she does. They cannot prove she got the letter. And she says there's a misspelling in the name, so she could claim it was not her.

Whatever...I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for not responding to Jury Duty, so I wouldn't worry about it. I do consider it my civic duty, and I actually served last year, but that's totally OT.

zigi

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 1:44 pm
trump ignored the letters, 6 times I think all he got was a 240 fine google it to get the exact details

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 6:19 pm
Chillax Very Happy As others have written, there is nothing that will happen to you - especially after 3 years have passed since the letter.

I know people who have routinely ignored multiple letters for years - not that I am advising people to avoid civic duty because if "smart", "good" people don't sit on a jury, then we can't complain about stupid decisions. Smile

I'm not familiar with NJ but in most jurisdictions, it has become MUCH easier to be potentially a juror because you don't have to go down and physically sit for days on end but can call in and see if they really need jurors. There are so many postponements and last minute settlements, that most people don't wind up actually serving on a jury.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics