Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When is he ready for lap belt on booster

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 10:53 pm
my son just tuned 4 yrs old. His car seat has expired. I purchased a booster seat with a five point harness because I'm not comfortable putting him in a regular lap belt yet. Although it does convert to one. Instructions say it's for children up to 50" hes about 45". Is it worth to keep for this short while? Shall I rather just buy ca booster with a lap belt? Which is safest way for him to ride?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 11:07 pm
Is he your youngest?

Often I find that people have a difficult time transitioning from car seat to booster seat when they do not have another baby to strap in a car seat.

If he meets the requirements for a lap booster, why not??

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 11:47 pm
At that age it could take a couple of years to grow 5" if I'm not mistaken. You'll get your use out of the harness.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 4:42 am
In your situation I would definitely use the 5 point harness.

My 6 year old is still in a regular car seat, and I plan to leave it that way until I need the car seat for my next child soon. Why? Because why not keep him in the safest thing possible for as long as possible. It can't hurt!
(My son is a lot smaller than yours. He's only 43" and 37lbs)

Zehava

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 8:26 am
I was wondering the same thing. What IS the recommended age to switch from five point harness to lap belt?

nylon

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 8:35 am
There isn't a recommended age. When he's old enough and mature enough to sit with a belt and not fiddle. 4 is too young for most kids. Keep him in the harness. I don't believe there's research showing it's safer to be in a harness for an older child, though.

And no, parents who keep their kids harnessed don't have difficulty transitioning. The law is a minimum. The law still says 1yr for rearfacing and we know that it's safer for toddlers to rear face.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 8:45 am
My son is tall. We switched at age 5 to a high backed booster with a lap belt. He was well within the recommended height/weight recommendations. He also demonstrated the ability to sit still and not move around.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 9:05 am
Remember that a booster should be used with a lap AND shoulder belt. The lap belt needs to fit along the upper thighs, and the shoulder belt should be even across the shoulder and not high up on the neck.

The main concern is maturity; a child can't wriggle around, move the belt if he is uncomfortable, cross his legs, slump down...and most 4 year olds can't really handle that.

In addition, there is a minimum weight for booster use on each seat. Does your child meet that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics