Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Silver and wood vs. bamboo challah boards

beth allen

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:06 am
Is the silver and wood one more likely to chip? Is one challah board more popular than the other?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:20 am
The silver and wood has glass on top. Though beautiful, it dulls the knife. If you have a small wood or plastic cutting board slipped under the challah, it should solve that problem.
Don't go for popular, go for what makes you happy and feels shabbosdik to you.
Many people like the olive wood ones with the slot for the knife.
There is also the type that after slicing it can be popped up into a breadbasket.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:26 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Don't go for popular, go for what makes you happy and feels shabbosdik to you.

This.
Even if you're looking not for yourself but for a gift. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Like those fake-mahogany-and-silverplate monstrosities that every Judaica store in the country is churning out. Even if the plaque is sterling and not plate. Very impractical. The more different types of material you have, the harder to clean. Silver, wood, and glass each have to be handled differently. Silver polish doesn't do wood any favors, glass cleaner doesn't do silver or wood any favors (though the glass panel is usually removable, putting is back is sometimes a real pain), and glass is a terrible surface on which to cut. What's the point if you're going to have to slip a plastic or wood cutting board under the challah anyway?

Go for bamboo or wood, which are kind to knives, hard to break, and easy to care for. I have a wood board with a slot for the knife and I wouldn't have anything else. Except maybe the kind that is a slotted wooden board inset into a shallow wooden box, so that the crumbs fall through the slots into the box and don't get all over the table when you pass the board around. I haven't seen such a thing with an incorporated slot for the knife, but that's what I'm waiting for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note