Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Electric rice maker

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 3:08 pm
When I cook rice it always comes out sticky, so I finally decided to get a rice maker. I hinted to DH and I just got an email that he ordered me one for my birthday. My question is, I wanted a small one maybe for a few cups of rice, and the one he ordered is a 20 cup capacity.
Anyone have one of those. What I need to know is whether I can cook smaller amounts of rice in the cooker, or must I really do 20 cups at one time? Help!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Aug 18 2015, 3:30 pm
Does the cooker make 20 cups of cooked rice or use 20 cups of raw rice? Makes a big difference!

The good news is that a Japanese cup is only 3/4 of an American cup. The bad news is that's still 15 American cups of rice. You could open a sushi bar!

The huge rice cooker should be able be able to handle much smaller quantities. I own a 5-cup Zojirushi (that's 5 Japanese cups of raw rice). It can handle a single cup (2 servings) and is a good size if you don't normally cook for a dozen or more. I think the big cookers like the one your husband ordered can handle cooking as little as 2 Japanese raw cups at a time (1 1/2 American cups raw rice).

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 1:32 pm
I personally have the same size as Rubber Duckeys, but also work with 10cup model. Both have internal gauges so you can make as little as 1 cup rice. (Though to be honest, I think optimal size is about 3-4cups raw rice).

OP, when you say the rice come out sticky, what types of rice are you using? Japanese (aka short grain or sushi rice) comes out stickier, but longer-grain ones like basmati, jasmine, thai does not come out sticky (and actually better cooked in a regular pot with a tight fitting lid). For me, the main advantage for using the rice cooker is the timer function (you set the washed rice and water, and find hot steamy rice later in the day) and keep warm function (though they recommend no more than several hours so probably not for Shabbat).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen