Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Chassidish women paid in cash

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 2:45 pm
do you get paid vacation & personal days?

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 2:49 pm
The one job I got paid cash, no I didn't.
In fact even jobs for chasidish/heimish offices that paid on the books, I didn't get any paid days.

GreenEyes26

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 5:58 pm
All the "heimishe" jobs I worked (which were many while I was in school) were on the books, but no personal days, sick days, worker's comp, unemployment, etc. If you're being paid in cash, why in the world would you expect perks?

happybeingamom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 6:22 pm
Workers comp and unemployment are legally mandated to all employees (except officers).

mille

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 6:53 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
Workers comp and unemployment are legally mandated to all employees (except officers).

Paying taxes is also legally mandated, but "paid in cash" sounds like "paid under the table". OP, please correct me if I'm wrong. But when you're not working legally, I'm not sure you are legally entitled to worker's comp/unemployment.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 7:01 pm
mille wrote:
Paying taxes is also legally mandated, but "paid in cash" sounds like "paid under the table". OP, please correct me if I'm wrong. But when you're not working legally, I'm not sure you are legally entitled to worker's comp/unemployment.

It is a tricky subject but at the end of the day if an employee can prove they were working the employer will have to pay in the social security and be fined for not paying unemployment and workers comp. The employee will have to pay income tax interest and penalty. The department of labor can come in and if it finds the employer libel can report their findings to the IRS.

mille

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 8:35 pm
amother wrote:
It is a tricky subject but at the end of the day if an employee can prove they were working the employer will have to pay in the social security and be fined for not paying unemployment and workers comp. The employee will have to pay income tax interest and penalty. The department of labor can come in and if it finds the employer libel can report their findings to the IRS.

Which is why you shouldn't pay your employees off the books... And why people should never agree to be paid off the books.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 8:49 pm
Not to take this off topic but it is a huge potential liability and a fraud to be paid "under the table". No one in this day and age is literally paid "cash" at a job for which all appropriate payroll taxes and withholdings are done.

An employee can report - and there is actually a reward paid by the IRS based on taxes collected.

Another huge fraud is categorizing an employee as an independent contractor instead of an employee. This really hurts an employee because they are then liable for the employer's share of payroll taxes. They also can't collect unemployment if they are laid off. And so many independent contractors are exploited because they need the job and so they accept the classification even though they should be designated as employees and be eligible for benefits like unemployment, vacation and sick leave.

I am now going through the hassle of putting my grandfather's caretaker on the payroll as an "employee". Yes I could pay him cash under the table but that would be wrong. So it is going to cost me a bit more because you can get away with paying "less" if you pay under the table but that's fraud. I also have to pay unemployment and workmen's comp insurance for him. So I pay into the system - he pays into the system and he is protected and the government is not defrauded. ETA - And when I say "on the payroll", I don't mean some company that is hiring him but I have to work it out with my accountant to find out how to do it - a hassle and expense but it wouldn't be "kosher" to me to do anything else than what is legal.

I am sorry if I am taking this astray but it is really something that I find offensive - that ostensibly "moral" people will find ways to justify lying and cheating and stealing. I realize that people think "everyone does it" and "who does it hurt" and the government can afford it or whatever other moral lies they tell themselves - but the bottom line is that it is immoral - besides being illegal.

sandwitched

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 9:18 pm
Just wondering why the title is Chassidish women....

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 9:28 pm
Years ago I worked for a very large and successful frum company. I was offered a major management position. When we were negotiating salary they made me an offer that was 20k below the rate I was asking and said they would pay me cash and look at all the tax free money I would be earning. shock I told them no thank you to the cash and was ready to leave when they said they would meet my numbers on the books. I had to have them rewrite my employment contract 3 times since they kept 'forgetting' to include some very important issues and benefits we agreed to. I spent two years there watching some of the the most underhanded dealings with employees, both on and off the books, that I could ever imagine.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 11:51 pm
Chassidish women???????? Ummm what???????? RACIST. Puke

Leahh

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 12:45 am
amother wrote:
Not to take this off topic but it is a huge potential liability and a fraud to be paid "under the table". No one in this day and age is literally paid "cash" at a job for which all appropriate payroll taxes and withholdings are done.

An employee can report - and there is actually a reward paid by the IRS based on taxes collected.

Another huge fraud is categorizing an employee as an independent contractor instead of an employee. This really hurts an employee because they are then liable for the employer's share of payroll taxes. They also can't collect unemployment if they are laid off. And so many independent contractors are exploited because they need the job and so they accept the classification even though they should be designated as employees and be eligible for benefits like unemployment, vacation and sick leave.

I am now going through the hassle of putting my grandfather's caretaker on the payroll as an "employee". Yes I could pay him cash under the table but that would be wrong. So it is going to cost me a bit more because you can get away with paying "less" if you pay under the table but that's fraud. I also have to pay unemployment and workmen's comp insurance for him. So I pay into the system - he pays into the system and he is protected and the government is not defrauded. ETA - And when I say "on the payroll", I don't mean some company that is hiring him but I have to work it out with my accountant to find out how to do it - a hassle and expense but it wouldn't be "kosher" to me to do anything else than what is legal.

I am sorry if I am taking this astray but it is really something that I find offensive - that ostensibly "moral" people will find ways to justify lying and cheating and stealing. I realize that people think "everyone does it" and "who does it hurt" and the government can afford it or whatever other moral lies they tell themselves - but the bottom line is that it is immoral - besides being illegal.

Out of curiosity, do you have a cleaning lady or babysitter? How are they paid?
Did you ever send a child to a playgroup? Were you careful to send to a legal one?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 10:11 am
amother wrote:

sandwitched wrote:
Just wondering why the title is Chassidish women....

I want to know what the norm is in those social circles. Chassidish society has it's own social norms just as any society would have. It wouldn't help much to know about babysitting jobs, or what they are doing in the MO world because the societal norms even financially are so different.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 10:21 am
Leahh wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you have a cleaning lady or babysitter? How are they paid?
Did you ever send a child to a playgroup? Were you careful to send to a legal one?

Each state's law is different when it comes to domestic workers, most teen baby sitters are exempt. In some states regular live in domestic workers are covered in other states it's not the case. It's up to the individual to know what the laws in their state are.

My credit union offers free payroll services for one full time domestic worker per account. Up to a maximum of 3 per household. It's all done online. You complete a time sheet, the software calculates contributions and you transfer the funds out of your account to a master account that distributes the funds.

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 11:01 am
amother wrote:

No, this is prejudice towards a group, but chassidim are not a racial group, so not racist. Sorry.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 11:15 am
Frumdoc wrote:
No, this is prejudice towards a group, but chassidim are not a racial group, so not racist. Sorry.

I don't see it as prejudice. Someone could look at it that way because they can assume that OP was passing judgment, but if she is targeting a certain group for a question, it is appropriate to mention that group in the title. That would be okay'd by anthropologists, scientists, psychologists, and the like.

sky

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 11:23 am
I thought the OP was looking for a specific group to respond.

Leahh

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 11:41 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Each state's law is different when it comes to domestic workers, most teen baby sitters are exempt. In some states regular live in domestic workers are covered in other states it's not the case. It's up to the individual to know what the laws in their state are.

My credit union offers free payroll services for one full time domestic worker per account. Up to a maximum of 3 per household. It's all done online. You complete a time sheet, the software calculates contributions and you transfer the funds out of your account to a master account that distributes the funds.

The amother I quoted was referring to a domestic worker. So I was wondering if she considers all to be equal or not.

Miri7

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 3:25 am
I use a website to calculate and pay taxes, worker's comp etc for my domestic workers. It is very easy to use. I feel much better knowing that I am doing the right, legal and moral thing.

doublemama

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 6:53 am
Frumdoc wrote:

I really can not like this enough.....one of my pet peeves is folks not knowing the difference between racist and prejudice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics