Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
At what age did you talk to dd about babies?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 11:16 am
When my daughter age 5 asked how babies get in there, I said everyone is born with millions of tiny eggs in their body, and when you are older and get married the eggs can sometimes turn into babies, with Hashems help. She was a little awed to discover that she had millions of eggs in her own body.

If I give her little parcels of information throughout her childhood we can have a full talk around age 10 about the cycle of a woman's body and another when she's in her mid teens about the man's role and what sperm is. Although if she asks earlier I will tell her earlier.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 2:21 pm
My dd5 asked me how the baby comes out. I said head first. She's digesting that now.
I also told my dd about all her eggs last week. She is now most excited about bags. The bladder is a bag, the stomach is a bag, the lungs are 2 bags, and- the uterus is a bag! Ima's is big and hers is tiny until she gets married and a baby starts growing in it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 5:20 pm
I'm shy about telling them cuz then they picture us (me and dh)... anyone else feels this way? Solutions? and when I ask "any questions" it's always "no", but I'm sure they have..right? or is the school nurse so efficient?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:
I'm shy about telling them cuz then they picture us (me and dh)... anyone else feels this way? Solutions? and when I ask "any questions" it's always "no", but I'm sure they have..right? or is the school nurse so efficient?

Why not start by asking them what they do know? That way you know what gaps need to be filled in.

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 6:44 pm
Start with plants, then fish, then birds, then mammals, including humans. Very matter-of-fact.

trixx

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 7:08 pm
I thought this blog post was BRILLIANT about a dad giving his 7 yr old son the preliminary talk.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/p2j53rx

I think it's a sign of a strong, healthy and open relationship if mom can discuss with her daughter. american girl has a book called The Wonder of Becoming You (you might have to censor some things first, like boys) that deals in a great way with body changes, frizzy hair, pimples, etc all the awkwardness, plus fights with friends, besides for a really good education on what a period is and does.

crystal

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 8:20 pm
Trixx, your link didn't work for me. Can you repost?

TIA
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children