Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff of Organization - ISO Lawyer

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 4:41 pm
I am looking for an attorney who specializes in civil law in the area of NY/NJ. I want to know if we have basis for a lawsuit.

smilingmom

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
I am looking for an attorney who specializes in civil law in the area of NY/NJ. I want to know if we have basis for a lawsuit.

As someone mentioned in a related post. Civil law is very broad, is this about personal or property damage, malpractice, commercial or business law, insurance, contracts, real property, product liability, other negligence?
If you can narrow the area, it might be easier to point you in the right direction.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:10 pm
smilingmom wrote:
As someone mentioned in a related post. Civil law is very broad, is this about personal or property damage, malpractice, commercial or business law, insurance, contracts, real property, product liability, other negligence?
If you can narrow the area, it might be easier to point you in the right direction.

Just to add. Attorneys are licensed in states, not regions, so you should specify New York or New Jersey.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:44 pm
smilingmom wrote:

Of the choices given, I'd say personal and property damage.
In what category would libel go?

NYS

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 12:59 pm
Libel is a tort which is generally handled by a personal injury attorney.

Libel requires written publication of a false and defamatory statement. In general, libel is difficult to prove and also damages are difficult to calculate. This is very general so you should consult an attorney who you can tell the exact facts.

There are attorneys who specialize in First Amendment free speech law who do work for the media but you probably only need to speak to a good attorney who can let you know whether it makes sense to proceed and possibly refer you to an attorney if she thinks it is outside her field of competence.

And you would generally use an attorney located in the state where you live or where the claim arose.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 10:05 pm
Amarante wrote:
Libel is a tort which is generally handled by a personal injury attorney.

Libel requires written publication of a false and defamatory statement. In general, libel is difficult to prove and also damages are difficult to calculate. This is very general so you should consult an attorney who you can tell the exact facts.

There are attorneys who specialize in First Amendment free speech law who do work for the media but you probably only need to speak to a good attorney who can let you know whether it makes sense to proceed and possibly refer you to an attorney if she thinks it is outside her field of competence.

And you would generally use an attorney located in the state where you live or where the claim arose.

According to your post, I'd say it seems I need a personal injury attorney in the state of NY. I would like to meet him/her to discuss if I even have a case. Seeking recommendations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics