Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Do these items have gluten?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:14 pm
abs wrote:
The ingredients are on the package. For example garlic cubes:
garlic-no problem
water--fine
canola oil-ok
sea salt, lemon juice concentrate- wouldn't worry about those!

Lol thanks!

Queen6

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:35 pm
My daughter is celiac. Her GI had a nutritionist sit with me for an hour and gave me a lot of information.
Some helpful things she told me
Malt is code word for gluten (Rice Krispies, corn flake crumbs)
All drinks are fine aside from regular snapple
Use PURE vanilla extract
Always label read!!!!
It's once you start with blends, sauces, take out food.... That's where the problems start.
But there is so much out there. Lakewood has a store called Gluten Freedom. I order online Better batter flour and cake mix. We love kind bars and Amazon has rice Krispy treat bars.
Keep looking and keep reading.

abs

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:45 pm
Queen6 wrote:
My daughter is celiac. Her GI had a nutritionist sit with me for an hour and gave me a lot of information.
Some helpful things she told me
Malt is code word for gluten (Rice Krispies, corn flake crumbs)
All drinks are fine aside from regular snapple
Use PURE vanilla extract
Always label read!!!!
It's once you start with blends, sauces, take out food.... That's where the problems start.
But there is so much out there. Lakewood has a store called Gluten Freedom. I order online Better batter flour and cake mix. We love kind bars and Amazon has rice Krispy treat bars.
Keep looking and keep reading.

I don't drink Snapple, but what do they hide in there??

Queen6

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:47 pm
I don't know but that's what she specifically pointed out. Diet snappele is ok.

abs

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:48 pm
Just googled Snapple:
"All of our Snapple products do not contain gluten."

Queen6

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:50 pm
Interesting.... I will ask her. Thanks,

abs

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:55 pm
Like I said, I've been doing this for a while, before everything was on the internet. Now I can google it all and have the answer in seconds!

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:32 pm
Regular sample says gluten free
That's why I questioned drinks

RedCurls

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:51 pm
You also get to know the companies that are gf or at least transparent about their ingredients. Take ice cream for example (I love ice cream).
Almost all Haagen Dazs is fine and their ingredients are written out and almost no Ben and Jerry is. Or
Chocolate--Godiva says assume it all has gluten and most Hershey's is ok. Sorry for those who are CY!
I agree about the sauces--that is the hardest for me. I've learned that if were invited out for a meal I'll drop that I know all bone sucking sauce is GF.
Lastly can I be annoying? I'm sure it's possible to have an allergy to gluten but most of those who have to avoid it don't have an allergy but have celiac which is an auto immune condition for which the cure is simply to avoid gluten!
I actually feel fortunate to suffer from a disease for which there is a straightforward "cure" no medication necessary!

abs

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:56 pm
RedCurls wrote:
I'm sure it's possible to have an allergy to gluten but most of those who have to avoid it don't have an allergy but have celiac which is an auto immune condition for which the cure is simply to avoid gluten!
I actually feel fortunate to suffer from a disease for which there is a straightforward "cure" no medication necessary!

Thank you redcurls for saying what I was thinking. It's become such a fad to go "gluten-free" for really no reason. If someone is celiac it's one thing. But thinking it's a cure for everything and anything.....

RedCurls

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:01 pm
I know what you mean abs. Whenever I have to tell someone I feel like justifying, I'm not gluten free because it's fashionable! I have no choice!

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:05 pm
abs wrote:
Thank you redcurls for saying what I was thinking. It's become such a fad to go "gluten-free" for really no reason. If someone is celiac it's one thing. But thinking it's a cure for everything and anything.....

What if it is?

If someone goes off gluten and finds that mood, headaches, fatigue, behavior (in kids), etc. improve, why do you have a problem with that?

abs

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:10 pm
I don't have a problem with that. But I do know someone who says she can't have gluten and EATS SPELT. Spelt does have a lower gluten content than wheat, but she is NOT gluten-free. A wheat allergy or having a hard time digesting a glut of carbs does not equal gluten-free. People should just get their facts correct.
Eat what you want, but someone with celiac who has to be careful of cross-contamination and the tiniest crumb of "chometz" is not the same as someone who feels better when they cut out carbs.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:13 pm
Ok, on that I totally hear you. Guess we are on the same page after all Smile

abs

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:14 pm
Smile

baba

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 4:48 am
Instant soup powder usually has gluten in it.

abs

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 7:37 am
Lieber's soup mix is ok. It actually is Kosher for Pesach, so you know it is!

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 7:54 am
Op here thanks for all this info! I really appreciate it!
Just an fyi I am not doing this because of "the latest diet fad" I am doing it for medical reasons
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics