Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Need help with 3 yr old

LO

Post Tue, Aug 25 2015, 1:31 pm
My yummy 3 yrd old daughter is driving me nuts. My other kids were not like this and I have no idea how to handle it. I am not sure if this is a sensory-type problem, a personality, and what I can do about it in either case.

Here are some basic examples:

1. We cannot get dressed in the morning without going through every item in her wardrobe and choosing the most weather-inappropriate outfit. Even that choice is made after I force her to, otherwise she will just keep changing her mind forever....I am very flexible - I have sent her to camp in her winter Shabbos dress, new Sofia nightgown, etc., but usually the only way she will get dressed even in that is if I force her and threaten that I am walking out the door without her. Or she will insist on two different pairs of socks, and go through her sock drawer many times because all the socks apparently hurt (no, they are not too small).

2. In terms of food, she will only eat a few things and ONLY if I am reading books or driving in the car. No amount of explanations or cajoling will get her to eat fruits or vegetables in any form, or anything other than the few things she is into for that week.

3. She terrorizes her older sisters (age 8), has no problem calling them names, hurting them, etc. She will also call my husband and I names, hit or kick us, etc. I started putting her in her crib when she hits me and now she does it much less, but she will still call me names when she gets upset. No idea how to handle that especially when not home and can't put her in the crib.

4. She has decided that she doesn't like the toilets in our house, so last night she had an accident while standing next to the toilet! When she needs to make, it's hours of her screaming and jumping around - anything to avoid making. With #2, it's even worse - she holds it in for as long as possible, which only worsens her constipation (see above about eating no fiber), and it's a whole production to get her to finally make. Usually she will make in her underwear. This is a LONG time after being trained, and usually being good about it in camp/playgroup.

I am trying to think of more examples....I know a lot of this stuff is basic toddler behavior, but all together it's becoming really unmanageable. I am wondering if this could be a sensory issue, where the sensation of using the bathroom, wearing certain clothes/shoes, or eating certain foods makes her uncomfortable - but even if it is sensory, what will they do about it? My intuition tells me that she is just a more stubborn personality, but then how do I handle it? I do have to show her somehow that there are limits and there are certain things you just do not do....

Sorry for the long rant. I would love some ideas because I really do not like the mother I am becoming with this child....

Giga

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 4:57 am
Hi,
Is she your youngest? If she isn't then there could be a jealousy issue...
She might have sensory issues, you should have her evaluated by an occupational therapist. I had that with my son and he needed intensive therapy for two years and now he's bh doing great.
As far as her behavior, I'm wondering if you r consistent with your method of punishment...bc being consistent is key to successful discipline! Hatzlacha!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics