Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Kingston PA

pooki

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 4:19 pm
Wondering if anyone lives in or has any info about Kingston, PA. I hear its an up and coming Jewish community.

Jeanette

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:35 pm
Are you CHabad? There are about 30 Chabad families. It's about a 20 minute drive from Scranton. Very nice, friendly, low-key community with very affordable housing. I know quite a few families who are priced out of brooklyn and moved there. Still close enough to NYC to drive in easily for a simcha, for a shabbos, for shopping etc. Too far to commute though. We are considering moving there but I need to find a job first.

lech lecha08

Post Fri, Aug 21 2015, 1:22 am
As someone who grew up in that area, I don't recommend it unless you're Chabad. There's no day school anymore so you'd have to send to Chabad or drive to Scranton, the community shul struggles to get a minyan, and if you're coming from NY, it might be hard for you to get used to not having any takeout options readily available.

shanie5

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 10:42 pm
Kingston is definitely growing, but mostly with chabad. Kosher food is mostly bought in Scranton , though there is some stuff in the local supermarket. You can have food delivered from scranton too. Not sure what the parnassa situation os there though. I know its not too good in scranton.

joy4u

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 10:31 am
We are actually looking into that area, does anyone know what zip code the frum people there are in?

GetReal

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 2:32 pm
Where do kids go to school?

lech lecha08

Post Sat, Aug 29 2015, 2:53 pm
dleah28 wrote:
We are actually looking into that area, does anyone know what zip code the frum people there are in?

Quote:
Where do kids go to school?

There's a Chabad cheder for boys. I don't know what they have for girls.
If you don't want to send to Chabad, it would have to be Scranton. there's a day school there and Bais Yaakov/yeshiva options

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 1:20 am
The chabad cheder is for both boys and girls.

Just One

Post Fri, Aug 27 2021, 1:18 pm
Bumping this up. What is the situation there now?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Aug 28 2021, 10:09 pm
there are a hundred families and the big discussion is if people are putting in pools or not!!!

a mother4

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 12:44 am
chocolate moose wrote:
there are a hundred families and the big discussion is if people are putting in pools or not!!!

Huh?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 2:20 pm
what don't you understand?

hello3

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 2:47 pm
My husband works in nursing homes near that area and commutes two days a week. He is close to the chabad shaliach. If you have any specifics I can ask him…

lamplighter

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 4:16 pm
There's a thriving chabad community there.
Not sure about any other infrastructure.

shanie5

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:34 pm
Kingston is thriving. They now have a school, a high school, a pizza store (2x a week as of now), a grocery that may yet be small but are in the works of making it a full kosher supermarket.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics