Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Best recipe

smileyface:)

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 11:44 am
best potato kugel recipe?

Stars

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 11:47 am
Potatoes, eggs, oil and salt.

I'm all for simple.

A lot of oil.

INSPIREME

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 11:49 am
2 lb. potatoes - grated
3 extra large eggs
1 onion - grated

Put 3 tablespoons oil in a 9" round pan. Beat eggs with some salt and pepper. Add grated potato and onion. Pour into pan and bake at 450 for a bit longer than an hour until brown.

tweety1

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:01 pm
11 potatoes
6 eggs
2 cups liquid. I do 1 1/2 c seltzer and 1/2 c oil. Many in my family do only oil.
1 Tablespoon salt
Use kugel blade. Bake on 400 for abt 1 1/2 hrs-2

sneakermom

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:12 pm
Eight potato's
Eight eggs
One onion
Half a cup oil
Plus a little more to heat up and pour over the batter once it's in the pan ready to go into the oven.
Some salt and pepper

Grate the onions first so batter doesn't turn brown. Use a kugel blade or smallest or second to smallest side of a hand grater.

Put into a very hot oven. Then turn to 350 for st least an hour.

Enjoy!

Laiya

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:48 pm
Basically from the Heimish cookbook:

5 lbs. potatoes
1 small onion
3-4 -- 1 c. oil
1 T. salt (to taste)
8 eggs

1. peel potatoes and soak in a pot filled with water, with a shpritz of vinegar or lemon juice to keep from browning
2. grate onion; stir in eggs + salt; beat
3. Heat oven to 425; pour the oil (all of it) into a 9x13 inch tin; put into oven
4. Meanwhile, grate the potatoes into shoestrings; stir into onion mixture.
5. Carefully, pour the hot oil into the potato mixture. It will sizzle; then stir it. Somehow, heating the oil like this gives the edges of the kugel a nice crunch and maybe keeps the kugel from turning gray
6. Do NOT drain, even though it may seem like puddles of liquid are on top of the kugel! Trust me Smile
7. Bake at 425 for 1 hr, then lower flame to 350 for another hour. The top will look very nice and browned; the rest of the kugel will be creamy. Yum!

fbc

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:50 pm
Inspireme, if using regular sized eggs would I still use 3? Also, the oil you put in the pan, do u heat it up first?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 1:03 pm
For a 9x13, 10 potatoes, 2 small-medium onions (or 1 if it's extra large), 5 eggs, salt and pepper to taste. Heat 1/4 C oil in the pan while you prepare the batter, and then pour the kugel in. 400 degrees for an hour, but I usually raise the temp, we like it crispy.

sitting

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 1:19 pm
if u bake the kigal.on a lower light for longer I find it tastes better. about 2 hrs on 275 or so.
as for "recipe", its so individual. lol. even when ive given min e out (its a simple one) and tasted it made by others it tastes diff. so dependent on what type of potatoes what size shredder u use which oil etc

INSPIREME

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 4:29 pm
Inspireme, if using regular sized eggs would I still use 3? Also, the oil you put in the pan, do u heat it up first?

I would probably use 4 if using regular sized eggs. I do not heat up the oil before I put it in the pan.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes