Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Rabbonim issue Kol Koreh re child s-x abuse

purpleink

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:23 pm
Anyone see the three page letter in the Mishpacha this week? It has over 100 charedi litvishe rabbonim urging ppl to call the secular authorities if child abuse is suspected. Do not pass go, do not call your local orthodox rabbi. Most of the rabbonim where I live signed on. Anyone else?
Here the article in the jewish press:
http://www.jewishpress.com/new.....8/23/

L K

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:57 pm
From reading the article I first thought it refers to child abuse period (DV?), then however quotes from therapists specify s-xual abuse.

Which one is it?

pause

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:03 pm
purpleink wrote:
Anyone see the three page letter in the Mishpacha this week? It has over 100 charedi litvishe rabbonim urging ppl to call the secular authorities if child abuse is suspected. Do not pass go, do not call your local orthodox rabbi. Most of the rabbonim where I live signed on. Anyone else?
Here the article in the jewish press:
http://www.jewishpress.com/new.....8/23/

The bolded is misleading. The kol koreh says if someone has firsthand knowledge of child abuse or reasonable cause for suspicion.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:04 pm
pause wrote:
The bolded is misleading. The kol koreh says if someone has firsthand knowledge of child abuse or reasonable cause for suspicion.

Still heartening, and not the first such kol koreih.

black sheep

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:06 pm
The kol koreh states "child abuse," not specifically child s-xual abuse.

samantha87

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:27 pm
The best part of it is all the community rabbis who have signed on. They are the ones actually getting the calls and dealing with these issues.

L K

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:58 pm
black sheep wrote:
The kol koreh states "child abuse," not specifically child s-xual abuse.

True, that's why I got all excited about the breakthrough, but then was thrown off with the mention of sx abuse. If it's about any type of abuse why is the latter mentioned at all?

black sheep

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:01 am
it was not mentioned in the kol korei, it was only mentioned in the jewish press article about the kol korei (I read two other articles about the kol korei that did not mention CSA.) I think it is just bad reporting on the jewish press's part.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:19 am
It was nice but I saw it in a magazine today and literally read the whole thing - all the signatories - and was sad to see certain sectors very underrepresented. For example, I think I only saw one rabbi from Lakewood. A lot from cities/towns with smaller Jewish populations. No doubt this is important to all, but I would have liked to see more of the influential leaders of large right-wing communities. I think this absence is as good as saying that they all disagree. Which is sad. Can it be that the organizers of this simply neglected to reach such large bands of the frum community? Or are we going to see another kol koreh next week from the dissenters?

black sheep

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:30 am
good point, seeker, I wonder if there will be a contrasting "kol korei" coming next.

however, even though there are some important communities underrepresented on the letter, I think it shows tramendous progress that well known and respected Rabbis signed to this. and so many of them! and this letter is a turning point, because the argument has always been to only go to the police as a last resort, and even then maybe not to go, so this is a great turn. I think it took a lot of courage for all of these Rabbis to sign this important letter. and I think it will pave the way for more Rabbis to follow. sure, there might be some dissenters, but more likely the Rabbis who didn't sign were afraid of being the first ones to say this.

mirror

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 12:36 am
On the flip side, I have heard that there are some mothers who are mentally ill and overprotective who invent stories to get certain Rebeim fired. Every school has a reputation to protect, and sometimes Rebeim are dismissed without any investigation whatsoever.

vicki

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 6:51 am
I love my Rabbi.
He's always been among the first to jump in where his position may not be the popular opinion but it is the morally just opinion.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 7:56 am
seeker wrote:
It was nice but I saw it in a magazine today and literally read the whole thing - all the signatories - and was sad to see certain sectors very underrepresented. For example, I think I only saw one rabbi from Lakewood. A lot from cities/towns with smaller Jewish populations. No doubt this is important to all, but I would have liked to see more of the influential leaders of large right-wing communities. I think this absence is as good as saying that they all disagree. Which is sad. Can it be that the organizers of this simply neglected to reach such large bands of the frum community? Or are we going to see another kol koreh next week from the dissenters?

I thought there was more than one name from Lakewood.
And the ad invited rabbis to sign on.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 10:04 am
I had the same reaction as seeker. I saw two from Lakewood.

I saw my good friend's husband (from CA) on the list, and felt proud of them.

I like that this is about child abuse of ANY sort. Physical and emotional abuse also deserves our attention and should be stopped.

purpleink

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 11:10 am
Emotional abuse is terrible and damaging but not reportable. Neither is physical abuse unless there are marks. Jewish Press probably did their research.
Anyone who wants to make up a story can and will- they dont need this letter to help them.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Aug 28 2015, 5:33 pm
I was disappointed. Not one Grand Rabbi of any chassish sect signed it. I guess it's not a priority in Pupa, Bobov, Vien, Viznitz, Satmar, Belz, Klausenburg, and all the rest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics