Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Second Hand Toys

joy4u

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:37 pm
I was out of town for the summer and where I was they had an awesome store, it was second hand toys and games for like 10 cents. I am not a big second hander, but I love old toys! I am looking for magnetiles, toddler legos, books, etc. Does anyone know of a store like this in the tri-state area. (Besides Once Upon A Child)

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 9:28 pm
I've heard of a few but you're not going to find those adorable 10-cents old toys in the tri-state area. Trying to remember the one I heard of recently in Brooklyn...

joy4u

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:02 pm
lmk if you think of anything. I feel like here in the tri-state all used things go to tzedaka, which is nice but what about people not looking for tzedaka, and also not looking to pay the prices on the avenues...

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:48 pm
There's always the flea market.... Just gotta wash

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:06 pm
There's a thrift shop in Downtown Brooklyn called Unique Thrift Store in the Fulton Mall. I don't think they have Magnatiles, and I'd imagine if they have Lego it would be grabbed immediately, but they have a lot of board games, puzzles, books, and lots of other toys.
http://imunique.com/pages/BrooklynNewYork/

joy4u

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:14 pm
thats great! I will have to check it out! thanks! any others?

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:16 pm
Freecycle!
Also, occasional imamother classifieds.
Craigslist, a little less exciting but sometimes good. And of course ebay. Again, not your 10-cent out-of-town thrift-shop finds but still often a good deal.
Yard sales - rare but occasionally do happen in the city. In suburbs much more likely.

The problem with toys and games is that the good ones tend to get used to death. Good used baby/toddler toys are pretty easy to come by because their time of interest is limited. But get into board games, and good luck finding something used, in good condition, with all the pieces. I remember the disappointment of buying MouseTrap at a yard sale quite cheap and finding out way too late that it was missing just a couple of tiny but essential doohickeys for assembling it and mailing an order to the company to replace them would have been another $15 or so. Bleah.

In my neighborhood we have an annual kid stuff swap where the member families all bring things they don't need and can take free for all - they don't count or keep track, it stands to reason that someone expecting a baby will do a lot more needing and someone whose youngest is growing out of kid stuff will do a lot more giving, the nature of our crowd is that there is never a problem of too many takers and not enough givers (I guess you need to know your population, in a needier area you would need more control to keep this from happening) The leftovers are sorted - junk is junked and good stuff is donated. The donation part motivates people to do more giving, too, because it's for a cause - even if a bunch is going to the neighbors, well that's a neighborly favor anyway and the event as a whole is charitable. Anyway bottom line there is always TONS of nice baby stuff (first of all because babies get the most gifts and don't always use them all, secondly because they grow out of everything so fast that not much gets used up), a lot of unwanted stuffed animals, and the older your kid is the harder it is to find anything nice though sometimes you luck out. Anyway, just an idea if you want to try something in your community. Maybe kids just want to swap toys and games just to get a change, depending how old kids are (older kids can do this... younger kids you want more control over what's coming and going, they don't know how to make fair trades)

joy4u

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 10:06 am
Thanks so much guys for your leads!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 30 2015, 10:24 am
Once upon a child on staten island and on line long island.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics