Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Rechasim man takes life after child rejected from school
Previous  1  2

chaiz

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 4:48 pm
Anyways, Yeshiva World is not really a source for news. So the discussion regarding the "story" is silly. My comment above was about the general idea of sephardim integrating into ashkenazi society.

LisaS

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 4:55 pm
The thing that got me about this story is that he got notice on August 31st. They day before school starts?! What chutzpa!

Of course Marina is right that the reaction was abnormal, but black sheep is also right that we can't ignore the societal problem.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 4:57 pm
It is true in some girl schools too (ex - Elad). But, OK. Maybe I jumped too fast (sorry). I really don't understand the Sfardi - Ashkenazi rift in Chareidim (we've discussed it before on LII). It's so strong that there are 2 political parties. Wouldn't they do better with one Chareidi party? Why would they want two? Don't they basically want the same things? We'd end up with a Chareidi Prime Minister shock. They'd settle the budget with money for their Yeshivot, Large Kitzvat Yeladim and cheap housing in Chareidi neighborhoods. Then they can just flip a coin for all the other issues.

LisaS

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 5:02 pm
Sanguine wrote:
It's so strong that there are 2 political parties. Wouldn't they do better with one Chareidi party? Why would they want two? Don't they basically want the same things? We'd end up with a Chareidi Prime Minister shock. They'd settle the budget with money for their Yeshivot, Large Kitzvat Yeladim and cheap housing in Chareidi neighborhoods. Then they can just flip a coin for all the other issues.

I heard that they would get less votes as one party, because many traditional/secular sfardim had voted for Shas, but wouldn't vote for a chareidi party.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 5:10 pm
LisaS wrote:
I heard that they would get less votes as one party, because many traditional/secular sfardim had voted for Shas, but wouldn't vote for a chareidi party.
oh, makes sense. I also liked the way two parties gave them a lot more in Coalition negotiations. They split the demands so no party was asking for too much. Each had to get something. Good trick

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 6:20 pm
marina wrote:
Ok, if someone kills himself over their child not being accepted into a school, the person probably had many mental health issues to begin with. Very sad and unfortunate, but I wouldn't blame the school for this tragedy.

My 3 year old was not accepted to our chassidishe community school. We are part of this community for many generations, daven in the shul, and attend dinners (and contribute $$!). They couldn't give us a reason why, and finally I was told that it's because I changed since I got married.

You see, I was physically neglected by my mother. I never owned a new article of clothing, and I got married with my sister's hand me downs. Once I got married, I started shopping for myself and developing a fashion identity for the first time. And this is why my child was rejected.

I don't suffer from mental illness, but this sent me into a deep depression. I didn't want to wake up in the morning, I didn't want to live. This rocked my entire life. I didn't want to be frum if I get punished for my growth, but I love being frum and didn't want to leave.

So yes, suicide is a very probable outcome of such sheer rejection. I hold the school administrators liable for a lot.

November

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 6:37 pm
My ashkenazi child would not have gotten into many many top notch charedi high schools, I was told, because there is no room. Classrooms are packed. So unless we had some special protexia or donated lots of $, it's just not going to happen. So we found a different school that would take her. Btw, both my other kids are in charedi schools with plenty of Sephardim.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 12:48 am
I think the term maffia is used here by the speaker as a metaphor for an organized group of people behaving in a criminal or unjust way - in this case the administration of the school that rejected his child. Not that they are actually maffia criminals.

[edited due to quoted post that was removed. - merelyme, as mod]

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 12:55 am
Copper amother, this man was from the north of Israel, Haifa.

sped

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 2:31 am
I am really confused. Every school MUST accept every child who applies? Makes no difference if the class is full or the school is otherwise inappropriate. Even if there are other choices where the child was accepted? Are YOU willing to have your first grader learn in a class of 45?
I don't see what the school did wrong. The child was accepted to another school.
(I should point out that I got official notice of DD's gan placement 2 days before she started. Between the mail service problems and "the way things work" here, it is not way out.)

merelyme

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 2:34 am
I removed some inappropriate speculation.

If you would like to discuss the subject of schools, please start another thread.

If you have something important, appropriate and helpful to post here, please pm Yael.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions