Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Did anyone read "The life-changing magic of tidying up"
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 7:54 am
I just started it. And I will humbly say it's not just entertainment value. I went through my hats, snoods. etc. and filled a grocery bag of castoffs. Not stuff that no longer brings me joy but stuff that will bring no one joy - way too pilly, stretched out, etc.

And I was mechaven to her concept of folding when I recently organized some of my scarves. And, I look forward to trying it on my folded sweaters.

The way she talks about her clothes' feelings reminds me of Grace Matuski's talking shoes. (She's the secretary in The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency.) Cute.

Now I'm only on p. 60 something but I do want to point out something very bizarre.
When it comes to tossing stuff from the communal closet, that belongs to all sorts of family members, she says that if she could talk to her younger self, no way would she do it. It doesn't work and besides, it's "just not right." But when she talks about imposing hand me downs on others - not great stuff but hand me downs she herself is ambivalent about and not in love with - she talks about how all she's doing is transferring her own angst on the recipient and that's "despicable."

So read it for entertainment, read it for motivation, but use her hashkafos as a springboard, food for thought, not gospel.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 8:55 am
So I'm really thinking of doing this (even if it fizzles out, the immediate benefits are worth it) after YT time (I know procastinating is not a good thing, but I have to devote my free time to cooking right now).

I have 3 options.
Put a hold in the library, I think I'm #13 if I do that (39 copies, about 3 people waiting per copy; is that how it works?)
Buy a physical copy for under $11
Buy a kindle version for under $8

Which is the easiest and best bet to be able to follow?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 1:47 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
So I'm really thinking of doing this (even if it fizzles out, the immediate benefits are worth it) after YT time (I know procastinating is not a good thing, but I have to devote my free time to cooking right now).

I have 3 options.
Put a hold in the library, I think I'm #13 if I do that (39 copies, about 3 people waiting per copy; is that how it works?)
Buy a physical copy for under $11
Buy a kindle version for under $8

Which is the easiest and best bet to be able to follow?

I don't know how your library works. Here we have access to a large library network of a few dozen libraries, so I'm not stuck waiting just for my library's copy or copies.
$11 isn't much. But since she's into seriously discarding stuff, I don't think she'd hold by your buying another book, even hers Very Happy
Kindle intrigues me but I like the feel of the book and haven't got a Kindle yet so can't tell you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 2:06 pm
We have one of the most books in circulation library systems in the country. The 39 copies are for all the branches....

I prefer reading a book and having it easier to reference I think than on a Kindle, but on the other hand, the idea of one less thing to take up space is nice. (Not that my Kindle doesn't get cluttered with too many free ebooks that I don't end up reading Wink)

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 5:07 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

So read it for entertainment, read it for motivation, but use her hashkafos as a springboard, food for thought, .

This is true not only for TLSMOTU but for all self-help books, with the obvious exception of the one and only Good Book.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 5:15 pm
I reserved the book, waited a while to get it--what's the rush?--borrowed it, and took notes which distilled it down to about a dozen lines that have value to me. Not everything she says has value to me. (See Pink Fridge, above) and I certainly don't need another organizing self-help book cluttering up my bookshelves.

oohlala

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 5:56 pm
I read it. I don't disagree with throwing things away, but she is a little crazy. It seems to me that she is obsessed.

November

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 6:22 pm
I like things which motivate me to tidy up and/or declutter. I would buy it. For now I'm watching YouTube videos of people doing pieces of the method and that is also motivating.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 6:35 pm
oohlala wrote:
I read it. I don't disagree with throwing things away, but she is a little crazy. It seems to me that she is obsessed.

Crazy like a fox. The woman is making a fortune with her consulting business.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 11:11 pm
So I was mistaken. There are actually 322 holds on 110 copies of this book. The holds on 39 copies is for the ebook version -- 100 holds!

I might as well place a hold and hope that my turn comes sometime after YT when I actually have time to implement it before needing to return it (I doubt I can renew with this much interest in it!)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 11:17 pm
I borrowed the audiobook for free. I am not an audio book person but it may give me a good feel if I want to try to get a hold of it in print.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 8:25 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I borrowed the audiobook for free. I am not an audio book person but it may give me a good feel if I want to try to get a hold of it in print.

I wonder who reads it. That could be fun!
A few more he'oros:
- She talks about extra bedding. She says it's worth having extra bedding if you regular guests but that it's unnecessary if you only have overnight guest at most once or twice a year. Bedding stored indefinitely in the closet often smells so mildewed you wouldn't let guests use them anyway. My thoughts: So what do you do? Buy? Borrow? Ask guests to bring their own? And that's some scary closet IMO.
- She talks about people who hold onto old photos, boxes from their grandparents, say that they haven't opened. "Every time I have this conversation it makes me sad. I can't help but thinking that the lives of the deceased would have been that much richer had the space occupied by that box had been free when the person was alive."
I'm not so sure.
- She doesn't like stocking up on staples. OK, the cases she brings up are extreme (and she's a bit crude when she talks about excess toilet paper). Personally I think my life is richer for the money and time I save. Though I agree that seeing how long you can manage before replacing something is a good exercise.
- If you're not convinced that there's a culture gap, just wait till you get to her make yourself a shrine section.

All that said, of course there is much to be gleaned from this. Editing our lives is always a good idea and I really want to try refolding my sweater drawer so the sweaters are vertical, not stacked. And considering we're the people of "pachim ketanim", we should have a respectful attitude towards our possessions and think well before adding to them.

It's a very readable, interesting book and I might actually finish it today.
We're not in the same library system but I will try to get it back to the library before the due date.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 6:12 pm
I know this is an old thread but I'm curious what people's thoughts on it are... especially with regards to linen...it makes me a little sad that I think most of my pictures- don't spark joy- I think I'm just a negative person Sad

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 7:00 pm
I recently read this along with her newest book that not only answers a lot of questions you are left with from her first, but also goes into detail her folding and storing techniques. While I don't think her method translates 100% to the frum lifestyle, I do think there is a lot to take from it. Her second book also discusses things that don't spark joy but that we need.

What I like most about her method is that he makes you take everything In That particular category out at once. It was almost therapeutic to see how many things you have and how it really is so unnecessary. Once it's out, it's much easier to be picky about what you put back in, as opposed tolerating items in because you don't want to take care of it at that moment. This book is very useful in home where there oak yay so much stuff, it's not speaking to families that only have 4 shirts each, etc.

Her approach to books I wouldn't follow except in rages to non Jewish books. I even tossed all my notebooks from seminary, shiur in etc. I've never looked at them before and I likely won't anytime soon, why do I keep moving them from apartment to apartment?

She encourages us to have hakaras hatov for our material items and the purpose they serve in our lives. I remember a teacher once telling me how she benches each item of her children's clothing when she is folding like "thank you for protecting dovi's knees on the playground" for pants. It sounds silly but it's adding meaning to everyday mundane activities and I think that's what a lot of the konmari method is about even if it feels a bit silly.

I also agree that clutter can cripple us, I know I can't focus or get anything done until things are cleaned up.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 7:44 pm
I started rolling my socks into balls, and rolling up clothes that go in drawers, like sweaters and turtlenecks. Made for more room and much greater accessibility and visibility.
I am planning to do some pre-Pesach spring cleaning and may be a bit more brutal. We'll see.

Now about to hunt my library system for the new book!

Ihatepotatoes

Post Sun, Jan 17 2016, 7:48 pm
no, but I would love if my husband read it! Smile

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 1:40 pm
skcomputer wrote:
I just finished reading this book. A lot of interesting concepts and some a bit over the top. I tried folding clothes in one drawer the way she describes and it didn't free up any space (although it was indeed easier to see everything and I'm glad that my shirts are happier that way). Thoughts on the book?

I know this is old but I just wanted to thank you for writing this post. I finally had a chance to reorganize my dresser and I love being able to see all my clothes.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 1:49 pm
I only read half the book and and it definitely inspired me. Her folding method is great. I don't have drawers in my room, mostly shelves, so I put all my tops into baskets on my shelves.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:45 am
my mama & my daughter both fold up their clothes in a roll - for as long as I can remember ... so her style is not unique

as for our objects sparking joy - ever figure out why a person becomes a hoarder - they become emotionally attached to all their belongings [usually due to a traumatic experience in their lives]... so not sure that line would help

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:48 am
greenfire wrote:
my mama & my daughter both fold up their clothes in a roll - for as long as I can remember ... so her style is not unique

as for our objects sparking joy - ever figure out why a person becomes a hoarder - they become emotionally attached to all their belongings [usually due to a traumatic experience in their lives]... so not sure that line would help

Yeah, I think that anyone who thinks that it would be a great idea to get her services for a serious hoarder will probably cause some real trauma for the hoarder.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics