Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How go to preschool orientation

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 1:13 pm
Just want know how others manage with both u and dh working full time in inflexible jobs with strict attendance....
. I have 2 preschool orientations to go to and can't take off --am I only one to miss this? My job is not flexible with times or attendance and taking off too much could cost me a job that I need to pay bills --babysitter is watching other kids and relatives also can't take off
. yes I have a few sick and I need save them bec since I'm overworked I do get sick and must use those few days to recover
. --I dont need solutions I just wanted to know if anyone else is in similar situation ??

asp40

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 1:20 pm
You will not be the only one. Just call the school and let them know. It shows that you care and that you are not just skipping out. Ask if there is any info you need to know and can they email it or mail it to you.

self-actualization

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 1:26 pm
This year I am working from home on that day (I get one Work From Home day a month and I feel like the orientation plus carpool make it worthwhile to take it that day).

In other years I have called the school and asked to be scheduled in the first time slot. Then I asked my manager if I could come an hour late to work (or 2 hours late, depending on the year). The manager was always fine with it. When I was paid by the hour I just deducted those hours from my time sheet.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 3:08 pm
Is there a Bubby you can send? IME it's just to help acclimate the kid.

animeme

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 3:20 pm
Sometimes school is open the Sunday before for setting up. If you call ahead, maybe someone can open the classroom for you for a couple minutes so dc can see it, find the cubby, etc.

If your kids acclimate easily, don't stress about it.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 3:45 pm
Can a friend or neighbor take them? If you have a class list, maybe they can go with another child that they know. Ours was a Sunday but if it were me I would have no issue taking a friends child along with mine.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 3:59 pm
Also, I dont know how old your child is but if you have family near by you might want to designate a bubby or other relative to go to the events that happen in the school day so you are not scrambling.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:21 pm
Op here, thanks for the replies!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:32 pm
I'm going to have to skip my son's orientation because of my grandfather's levaya Sad Needless to say, that means no one else can do it, because we're all going to be in the same place. I arranged with the teacher that I'm going to come by first thing to stick his supplies in his cubby and the morah and I are just going to do the orientation over the phone in the evening.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 12:59 pm
We had two preschool orientations this week. I went to one and DH went to the other. That way we only had to each miss 1-2 hours of work each.

It is SO SO SO SO SO hard!!!!!!

We are also always scrambling to find daycare when school is closed, for siddur parties, etc.

I always say school is not designed for parents who work.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:47 pm
I was shocked this year when we were told at orientation there is a teacher available at 8:05 for drop off. Between that and aftercare which goes until 3:45 (they are the only nursery students who take the bus home) I would assume its less stress for full time working parents.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 3:59 pm
I'm working nights and then just not sleeping in the day so that my kid won't be the only one without a parent on this weeklong phase in that the school does. It is not ideal.

I arranged my vacation day for Mother's Day so I don't miss that. Not sure what to do About the Other things that pop up without notice. Hopefully the grandmas can go
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics