Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Why are you Gluten Free?
1  2  Next

Queen6

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 6:53 pm
It's become the new fad. Practically everyone I speak to is gluten free. Every store and resteraunt has gluten free products...
Why is that?
Is Celiac on the rise? Is it a new thing?
Or is everyone looking for an answer and running to gluten free?
So I was just wondering...
How many of you or your child are celiac?
How many of you or your children gluten free? Did you get hat you were looking for? Did you stick with it?
I'm curious by all of this.
My daughter was recently diagnosed with celiac. We are taking it very seriously and although I wasn't looking for any results - I actually do see some change in her! It's interesting to note.

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 7:01 pm
My dad was recently diagnosed as well. Came as a big surprise to us. We are learning and experimenting with recipes....

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 7:02 pm
Lol.... Not my dad.... My ds

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 7:06 pm
My daughter also has celiac disease. I'm wondering what you didn't expect to see a change and how it's changed.

As far as the rise in celiac, I don't think scientists and doctors know for sure. Some of it is that until now it wasn't diagnosed correctly. People would be sick for years before they found out they had celiac. Another reason I've read is that today's wheat is different than older wheat and it's processed differently, either of those could be the issue.

voira

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 7:07 pm
my ds has celiac - definitely not gluten free by choice, yet we do see a MAJOR improvement in his behavior and well being.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 7:17 pm
Traditionally wheat was not eaten in the form or quantity it is eaten in now. It was either soured with wild yeast or sprouted from being stored in grain houses. It was eaten freshly ground and in whole form. Souring and sprouting reduce the gluten content within wheat as well as enzyme inhibitors. Our bodies cannot continue to tolerate the modernization and westermization of the wheat in todays stores.

We are either gluten free or eat our wheat sprouted or soured (we love all kinds of sourdough)... we have seen huge health improvements by eating like this...

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 11:56 pm
My ds has celiac which took a while to diagnose (his former pediatrician insisted there's nothing wrong with him) the new ped realized right away and all tests came back with the same answer. By the time we found out his esophagus and part of his stomach had lost all the villi.
Within weeks of going GF his uncontrollable aggression and violent behavior stopped. He started eating again and outgrew three sizes in six months. And no more all night stomach massages for him (he would scream at night from agony)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 11:41 am
I don't have celiac, am not allergic, am not following trend and do not have money to dump on KOSHER GF and oil to go find it lol... it gives me migraines.
Plus: maybe 4 times fewer migraines Very Happy

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 11:55 am
Someone told me it can help my depression and anxiety...

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 12:00 pm
I am like 85% GF. The other 15% is spelt products. A lot of spelt products are super expensive or hard to find so I buy mostly GF products and bake with spelt flour when I want challah, cookies etc.

Wheat flour causes me great difficulty using the bathroom. I compare it to lactose intolerance. Will it kill me no, but I will feel nasty for enough days that I avoid.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 12:08 pm
DD is allergic to wheat.

Re the sour sprouted thing- how would that be different from, say, fifty years ago?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
DD is allergic to wheat.

Re the sour sprouted thing- how would that be different from, say, fifty years ago?

50 years ago people were still using commercial yeast to quick rise breads and bought flour of store shelves...

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 2:44 pm
my son is celiac. Since he was diagnosed, (no thanks to the pediatrician! More like Dr. Google diagnosed him Mad ) he is a different person. It's been over 10 years and very thankful to my friend who was determined to figure out what was wrong with this child.
What I don't understand is those of you who are allergic to wheat and cutting out ALL gluten. Why can't you have barley, spelt or cross-contaminated oats??

musicmom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 2:51 pm
People who have Celiac disease need to follow this diet to a T. Even if a breadknife or dishpan touches a bread crumb and then comes in contact with their food, they could get sick. Sometimes they will not tell you if they got sick from eating your food. We should all be very stringent when cooking for those with Celiac disease. Gluten can be in unexpected places, like pareve soymilk. Make sure to check and double check all ingredients! I know it has become somewhat of a fad of late, but that should not take away the seriousness with which some people need the diet to be taken.

Queen6

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 5:43 pm
Soy milk? Can you specify? I never heard of that. Are you including non dairy topping as well? Please elaborate.
Anyone else that knows any specific foods that are misleading please post.
Thanks,

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 5:51 pm
I have celiac. Getting that diagnosis took a full year despite a blood test that came positive right away (a botched endoscopy and stupid GI was the reason). The scary thing to me is that I'm asymptomatic so I won't feel if I've eaten something contaminated.
As to if its on the rise, I suspect it is due to the reasons above however it is still severely underdiagnosed. Test yourselves! Test your children!

abs

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 5:58 pm
Queen6 wrote:
Soy milk? Can you specify? I never heard of that. Are you including non dairy topping as well? Please elaborate.
Anyone else that knows any specific foods that are misleading please post.
Thanks,

I think some soy milk is made with barley malt.
Many people assume (incorrectly!) that corn flakes and rice krispies are gluten free. The malt in the ingredients list is gluten. But you can get both of these cereals gluten-free.
Cheerios recently became gluten-free. But some celiacs cannot tolerate oats.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 6:23 pm
amother wrote:
I have celiac. Getting that diagnosis took a full year despite a blood test that came positive right away (a botched endoscopy and stupid GI was the reason). The scary thing to me is that I'm asymptomatic so I won't feel if I've eaten something contaminated.
As to if its on the rise, I suspect it is due to the reasons above however it is still severely underdiagnosed. Test yourselves! Test your children!

Just wondering what you were looking for a diagnosis for if you were asymptotic. Why would one think to test for this?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 6:45 pm
To answer you, I have an immediate family member who got severely sick before being diagnosed as celiac.
Secondly although I don't feel immediately when I eat gluten I don't have a microscope into my small intestine where at the very least gluten destroys my cilia and at worst can cause much worse down the road.
Third, I suffer/ed from many of the classic symptoms of celiac but wasn't able to connect the dots before my diagnosis.
Lastly, as I said it is severely underdiagnosed and it is such an easy disease to manage compared to so many others that I believe knowledge is power.
Yes it's annoying and sometimes hard but gosh as long as I avoid gluten, this auto immune disease is completely contained.

smss

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:25 am
amother wrote:
To answer you, I have an immediate family member who got severely sick before being diagnosed as celiac.
Secondly although I don't feel immediately when I eat gluten I don't have a microscope into my small intestine where at the very least gluten destroys my cilia and at worst can cause much worse down the road.
Third, I suffer/ed from many of the classic symptoms of celiac but wasn't able to connect the dots before my diagnosis.
Lastly, as I said it is severely underdiagnosed and it is such an easy disease to manage compared to so many others that I believe knowledge is power.
Yes it's annoying and sometimes hard but gosh as long as I avoid gluten, this auto immune disease is completely contained.

This is a very important point that a lot of people don't understand.

Someone was telling me about a mom who "claims" her kids have celiac but she (this person) KNOWS they really don't because one time she gave them Triscuits to eat by mistake and nothing happened.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics