Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Please outfit 5yo DD for yomtov! $10 challenge?!
1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 12:38 am
So I generally have a stash of clothes for my kids to grow into and sometimes I think about it more than others... and I just realized less than two weeks before Rosh Hashana that one of my kids doesn't have anything new for yomtov embarrassed And of the non-new things she has, most are getting small so if she's going to need something new for the winter anyway then we may as well get it in time for yomtov so it can feel special. Especially since her little sister has a full new wardrobe coming up (much of which used to be hers, but that doesn't matter...)

I haven't set a budget for this because frankly I didn't have extra money prepared for clothes, we usually have enough from the hand-me-downs and occasional metzias, I don't know how it happened that we just don't have anything in her size now besides a very wintery velvet dress that I can't put on her until it cools down here.

Also, I have no fashion sense. All I know is that I prefer classy rather than trendy, though if the current styles are nice and not weird that's ok. (no family member of mine has ever or will ever wear pleather!)

Of course my late wake-up means I don't have time to sit around and wait for deals. But I need a deal!

Resourceful people help please! Links, coupons, hand-me-downs, anything!

kb

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:08 am
A size might help.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:09 am
http://m.hm.com/us/product/908.....EARCH

Love this but noticed they're out of big sizes.

Oh well. Maybe someone else can benefit.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:09 am
Seeker, what size does she need?

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:11 am
I'd probably say 6 but would order a couple of sizes of anything just in case. She is more like a 4 in shirts but dresses always seem to run so short. Her summer dresses were mostly size 6 from previous years Children's Place, and most are getting a little shortish but one just started to fit with plenty of room (it's quite summery though... of course she will still be wearing it through yom tov but she'll need a spare) So it's hard because even within the same brand they all run differently!

Happy18

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 5:33 am
If she still fits in carters don't know what size their stuff goes until they have a 50% off for Labor Day

harriet

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 6:22 am
youngishbear wrote:
http://m.hm.com/us/product/90844?article=90844-A&cm_vc=SEARCH

Love this but noticed they're out of big sizes.

Oh well. Maybe someone else can benefit.

They have it in 5-6 and they tend to run big. I like this one and the Joe Fresh dresses

yaeli83

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:46 am
The h&m one appears to be the bolero jacket alone, and not the dress.

Zehava

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:50 am
Ruum has an amazing sale going. I got two beautiful Shabbos dresses for 16$.

yaeli83

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:51 am
www.ruum.com has some nice dresses in the $12.00 range

yaeli83

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:52 am
Lol zehava! I was just writing that as you posted!

momx6

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 8:07 am
You can shop on Amazon. They have a lot of dresses with free shipping both ways. (if you have prime...)

sky

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 8:23 am
Its still early for the holiday clothing on the web. It will probably come out after labor day.

Old navy does have dresses (tutu dress) and others for about 12-14. But they really aren't winter. In another 2 weeks there should be more options.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 8:28 am
Am I the only one whose kids get their new clothes for Succos, not Rosh Hashana? Rosh Hashana is Yom Tov but it's not a Chag.

Plus it usually does not get cool by Rosh Hashana, so we can still stretch the summer clothes, and gives me a little more time to get my act together re winter wardrobes.....

sky

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:05 am
I think you are supposed to start wearing new clothing on succos because it is one of the shalosh regalim.
But the amount of time between rosh hashana and succos I find is busy and the stores are crazy so if I can avoid it is better (like shells, tights, bows, etc)

youngishbear

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 9:40 am
Chayalle wrote:
Am I the only one whose kids get their new clothes for Succos, not Rosh Hashana? Rosh Hashana is Yom Tov but it's not a Chag.

Plus it usually does not get cool by Rosh Hashana, so we can still stretch the summer clothes, and gives me a little more time to get my act together re winter wardrobes.....

I agree about succos being the chag for new wardrobes.

I still find that kids sometimes destroy their summer clothes over the season. It's okay for a shabbos at home but not anymore for yom tov in shul.

Also, it is important to have in-between clothing for the kids who wear shorts in the summer. Sometimes rosh hashana and even succos is just too cool for shorts but not cold enough for winter clothes. Sometimes I compromise and do an outfit that can be converted (add a cardigan for winter, for example.)

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:07 pm
Succos is fine. I just don't want to delay my search any further being that I'm late already and Labor Day sales are now. I think at this age it doesn't matter so much, the inyan of new clothes is simchas yomtov which we'll manage to give them either way and they may as well be happy on Rosh Hashanah too, they're little and it's all good. But yeah if I have a dress in time for Succos, fine. Pretty sure that's what I did in past years anyway. I was just doing wardrobe assessment now.

cbs880

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:09 pm
http://www.ruum.com/floppy-bow.....c=865

Happydance

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:13 pm
marshalls has had some beautiful dresses...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains