Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah to a kibbutz?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 5:07 pm
Hello everyone. I can't actually believe I am typing a question about Aliyah. But here goes the first of many.

Does anyone make aliyah to a kibbutz? Do the kibbutzim not allow this? I never hear anyone discussing this.

Thank you.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:32 am
this is a perfect question for nefesh bnefesh.

good luck!!!

grace413

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 2:40 am
No real info about kibbutzim but glad to hear you are planning to make aliyah.

Kibbutzim today are not what they used to be. Many are "privatized" meaning that people have to find their own outside jobs and there is less collectivism - it varies from place to place.

As Shabbat said, try asking NBN.

Hatzlacha.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 5:41 am
I did several years ago, though for Sherut Leumi rather than to become a kibbutz member.

There are dati kibbutzim who are looking for new young families. Definitely ask NBN.
I'll warn you, though, from what I know from the kibbutz I lived on- you won't be accepted immediately as a member regardless. If they accept you, it's for a trial period of probably a year or two for them and you to decide if you're a good fit there. Only after that does the kibbutz decide whether to accept you as a member.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:41 am
Thanks. I am planning to ask NBN but I figured I would go straight to the sources here. I spent one semester living on a kibbutz almost 20 years ago, so I know that they accept you on a trial basis. But I was wondering if anyone still does it these days or if they no longer accept olim even for a trial. Thanks.

ROFL

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 8:10 am
You may be too old for a kibbutz. I would love to be on kibbutz but am in my 50's and was hold they won't accept older members. But check it out. I love kibbutz life and wish I can go there

Sanguine

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 8:59 am
We made aliya to a Kibbutz!! But that was 25 years ago. We were part of a Bnei Akiva Garin so we came with our own group of friends for support. Most of us left. We were basically the end of the Bnei Akiva Garinim from North America (is that where you're from?). We all basically left cause the ideology wasn't really there. We were the lowest rung on the ladder and there really isn't any equality like Kibbutz is supposed to have. "Everyone gives according to their ability and receives according to their needs" - that's the Kibbutz mantra - HAH!! If you were born there you could give a lot less and get a lot more.

I'm not bitter (might sound so). I'm just telling you that kibbutz life isn't what you might think. After we left kibbutz we'd visit friends who lived on a different kibbutz and were pretty happy there, but their whole conversation was always talking petty about what things this one or that one got and what they did. We were glad we left.

If you're young you can try out a kibbutz (they're great merkaz klitot Smile) but try to go to one of the wealthier ones. People are less petty there.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:24 pm
Thanks. Yes, I meant as a place to land and start out, not as a permanent place unless we love it. We are under age 40, so not too old, but not young either. We are just starting to seriously think about it. We almost made aliyah years ago and then did not for various reasons. Now we are starting to discuss it again.

Aberdinah

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 3:45 am
The first home in the homeland (bayit rishon bamoledet)programme? It's aimed at families with school age children. Kibbutz Lavi have taken ppl on this in the past, not sure if they are at present. There may be other kibbutz Dati that are part if this, but I haven't seen a list. Also do the aliyah communities search for kibbutzim/yishuvim on nbn. I am sure there are others that want to expand but can't remember names now sorry!

B'hatzlachah!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions