Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you use FaceBook?
Previous  1  2

Sanguine

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:46 am
amazingmommy wrote:
I think its addictive and no point, why do I need friends that don't even reall know me?.,,
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Helloooo!! You're on Imamother. It's addictive and we're your friends that don't even really know you Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

youngishbear

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:49 am
imasoftov wrote:
Fortunately no one either kvetches or writes about their perfect relationships (let alone in the same post, e.g my husband is the best in the world, mamash a tzaddik, except he tortures cats and leaves the bloody fur on the bedroom floor) on this site so everything is good.

I was also struck by the juxtaposition of kvetching and perfection.

But this was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!

etky

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 9:50 am
Sanguine wrote:
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Helloooo!! You're on Imamother. It's addictive and we're your friends that don't even really know you Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Now there's a point LOL

smilingmom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 11:04 am
I love FB.
I use it to keep up with whats going on with my relatives that I normally not keep up with, especially those from my parents and my kids generations.
I also just connected with kids I graduated high high school with 40 years ago.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 11:23 am
I'm not a lover but I have an account. I rarely post but I do enjoy catching up with friends

bigsis144

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 1:30 pm
My family is not on Facebook, but I use it to follow community groups that let me know about simchos, upcoming events, deals at local places, freecycle/Craigslist-type stuff, etc.

I rarely post anything about myself unless it's something like "What's the parking situation like at [local attraction]? Is there street parking nearby?" etc.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 1:34 pm
Sure to keep up with family and friends. I have two private groups one for family and one for friends as well.

gold21

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 2:02 pm
I do have a FB account, which I use occasionally.
It helped me re-connect to a cousin of mine who is not really religious.
I only have approx 30 friends- I only "friend" people I want to be friends with.
I don't use it a lot though- I mostly use it for information-sharing FB groups, which are super helpful.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 4:40 pm
Nope.
Though I am getting sick and tired of all the businesses that require you to go to their FB page to get coupons or special offers--why can't they have them on their regular web page, huh? Not to mention so-called friends and relatives who don't bother informing anyone of anything, just make all their announcements on their FB page and to perdition with you if you don't do FB.
Well, sez I, to perdition with THEM. I prefer friends with whom I have a genuine in-person relationship, where they tell me directly in some manner (email, phone call, snail mail, Western Union,PM or even--gasp--tell me in person--that they are getting new shoes or had a baby or are going on vacay. If you can't be bothered telling me something directly, I guess I don't mean that much to you. In which case, who needs you? I am on enough mailing lists as it is, thank you very much.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 6:29 pm
smilingmom wrote:
I love FB.
I use it to keep up with whats going on with my relatives that I normally not keep up with, especially those from my parents and my kids generations.
I also just connected with kids I graduated high high school with 40 years ago.

Oh, yeah, I hear from such random people that they saw my kids on FB. Not a major reason I'd be tempted, they email me pics.
And Zaq, that's especially why I'd be tempted to go on FB - all those coupons, etc. not otherwise available. I assume that on FB they can mine that much more info about you?

marina

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:02 pm
companies who have good FB presence with a lot of traffic get bumped up in the google search engine, so that when you type in "baby stroller jogging quintuplets" that company's name comes up first or second, not 1,367th.

So that might be why companies divert traffic to FB

dr. pepper

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:20 pm
Nope.
To quote someone I respect:

"It's socially acceptable voyeurism and exhibitionism."

marina

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:24 pm
dr. pepper wrote:
Nope.
To quote someone I respect:

"It's socially acceptable voyeurism and exhibitionism."

Like any conversation, I guess.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 2:03 am
marina wrote:
Like any conversation, I guess.

As the OP points out in a rather humorous way, facebook is NOT like other conversations in terms of exhibitionism. Much of the sharing that is typically done on facebook would certainly be considered socially inappropriate at the very least if done in a face to face conversation. So I believe the quote is actually quite on point -- facebook has made the type of sharing and observing that once would have been considered quite unacceptable (I.e."voyeurism and exhibitionism") into something that has become socially acceptable in that particular medium. Whether this is a good or bad thing is obviously subject to opinion.

Sanguine

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 3:59 am
OP here - I only started this thread cause of the cute realistic description of facebook. I only asked if people use FB cause I had to write something. But since everyone is answering, I'll answer too.

I dislike FB. I only opened an account cause I wanted to see what my son was up to and I insisted that he be my friend. And I did make him delete some things. That was years ago. Since then he defriended me (it's OK now - he's old enough to watch himself) but my other kids friended me and I do love to see pictures that they post. They're teens and older so I'm not in their daily activities and they post pictures of them having fun for their friends and I get to see Very Happy. (When they post a picture of me all their friends give me Likes! Very Happy ) and make (respectful) comments LOL

After that I friended an old friend who I see often cause she told me I have to to see what a different old friend of ours looks like now (a little nasty). So I friended her and all the friend requests from people I haven't seen in 30 years (cause I really have no interest in seeing them) came pouring in. I accepted a few but that's it. It was fun reconnecting with some HS friends, but after our first connection, I'm really not interested in seeing the beautiful Challah they just made or even their son's HS graduation. And I don't want to read comments from their current friends who I don't even know - "OOH! Did you get that dress on Main Street?"

The thing I don't get in FB is What would I want to post that my kids, my nieces, neighbors, work colleagues, siblings, old friends (that I do or don't like), mother, best friends... would see? I guess I can post a picture of breakfast Scratching Head . They all know that I have to eat too.

I just don't get it.

And there's my obvious problem - Once I start talking (typing), I have a lot to say (look at this post Very Happy ). I can't handle those 3 word comments At wits end
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics