Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Which convenience household items do you have?
1  2  3  4  Next

pause

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 10:56 am
List any appliances, gadgets, or contraptions that make your life easier. I'm thinking more like household items that help your running of your home. I'll list some:
smoothie blender
shopping bag dispenser
outdoor thermometer which is visible from inside the house

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 10:59 am
two dishwashers, two sinks, two ovens, two microwaves, extra freezer, bread maker, seltzer machine, hand held shower head.

pause

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 11:00 am
is the seltzer machine more convenient than buying seltzer by the case?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 11:11 am
I personally thing more 'things' mean more to clean and put away. The gadget that I find most useful is actually my iPhone. The ability to check weather, do banking, reserve library books, make shopping lists, look up recipes, take photos and videos (and then order groovebooks) from my phone is awesome. I could go on and on. Other than that, I'm pretty minimalist.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 11:13 am
pause wrote:
is the seltzer machine more convenient than buying seltzer by the case?

We don't buy seltzer so its more convenient than water. :-)

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 11:23 am
Yes. Sodastream is great. DH will not drink tap water and I was always buying seltzer and coming home with items that I did not really need. We all drink more water having it. If you exchange the cartridges at target or BBB you get a discount and you can use a coupon.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 11:44 am
Bread Machine

pause

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
We don't buy seltzer so its more convenient than water. :-)
Oh.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:26 pm
The crockpot is my ultimate sanity saver. I have 5 I think. Meat and Milk.

L K

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:33 pm
Do you find bread machine useful even if one has a good dough mixer?
Which bread machine do you like?

sky

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:48 pm
RE: bread machine.
I have a large mixer but rarely take it out. The bread machine sits on my counter and I use it minimum twice a week.
I mainly use it for mixing doughs that I bake
We aren't big bread eaters - so it makes the perfect size batch of challah dough for may faimly.
I make pizza dough in it about once a week
Mixes small batches of kokosh or cinnamon dough
Bakes loafs - don't do it to often but sometimes for breakfast or to serve with a stew for supper.

I have a Panasonic 2.5 lb machine. I'd love to have one with more setting options (like set how long cycles take) I've had it a long time and definitely gotten a lot of use out of it.

Last edited by sky on Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

spring13

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:49 pm
Bread machine, rice cooker (I keep it pareve, and can make veg soup in it), Sodastream - all things I'm glad to have. I also have a small portable milchig dishwasher.

The Sodastream means A. Don't shlep bottles home from store, and B. We drink more seltzer and less of sugary drinks. My father drank soda every day of his life, until we got him a Sodastream for a his birthday. After he finished the sample pack of soda flavorings, he discovered that he actually likes seltzer just fine. His teeth are in better shape and he lost weight all because of that little machine.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:53 pm
It's all relative. I remember my mother mixing cakes with a hand cranked egg beater until she saved enough S&H green stamps to get a hand mixer.

My food processor is a necessity, and I prefer automatic washers to ringer washing machines. I do have a commercial vacuum sealer that I bought used that has paid for itself over years of use.

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:56 pm
In theory, I'm opposed to additional gadgets that take up space and are usually hard to clean. In reality, I'm a total sucker.

Here are my favs:

1. Crepe maker -- the kind you dip in the batter. This works like a charm! The crepes are perfect and can be served plain, with ice cream and topping for a dessert, or with leftover chicken as a main course. No sugar added, just a pinch of salt, flour, eggs, and water. Oh, and they freeze perfectly.

2. Rice maker -- perfect rice every single time with no fuss, including brown rice. Set the timer to have it ready at mealtime. I bought mine at an Asian grocery store where they stocked about 75 different models at prices from $10 to $800. The store manager directed me to the one he recommended, priced at about $40. A real workhorse, easy to clean, and the rice really is tastier.

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 1:59 pm
iPhone, car charger, dishwasher, rice cooker, immersion blender, really good peeler, garbage disposal.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 2:01 pm
pause wrote:
List any appliances, gadgets, or contraptions that make your life easier. I'm thinking more like household items that help your running of your home. I'll list some:
smoothie blender
shopping bag dispenser
outdoor thermometer which is visible from inside the house

Indoor plumbing.

November

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 2:04 pm
sky wrote:
RE: bread machine.
I have a large mixer but rarely take it out. The bread machine sits on my counter and I use it minimum twice a week.
I mainly use it for mixing doughs that I bake
We aren't big bread eaters - so it makes the perfect size batch of challah dough for may faimly.
I make pizza dough in it about once a week
Mixes small batches of kokosh or cinnamon dough
Bakes loafs - don't do it to often but sometimes for breakfast or to serve with a stew for supper.

I have a Panasonic 2.5 lb machine. I'd love to have one with more setting options (like set how long cycles take) I've had it a long time and definitely gotten a lot of use out of it.

Sky, can I get your kokosh or cinnamon dough recipes for bread maker? That sounds awesome!

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 2:09 pm
I never heard of a crepe maker. Sounds so cool, can you share a link if possible? Thanks

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 2:12 pm
tichellady wrote:
I never heard of a crepe maker. Sounds so cool, can you share a link if possible? Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Eurolux-.....maker

pause

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 2:50 pm
I like a crepe maker even though I don't have one! It really makes it simpler to create blintzes. And I've never heard of a rice maker. Smile
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics