Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ds has pinworms, how to tell him he can't go to school?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 11:34 pm
School just started and he LOVES it. He has pinworms Sad I saw them tonight. I'm going straight to the doctor in the morning with the tape test. I can't send him until he's treated. What do I tell him? He feels fine, he's not sick. He's going to be so so upset he can't go tomorrow. How do I explain it to him?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:10 am
I've been reading online on a few medical websites that he can go to school? Should I send him? I think it's wrong and not fair to the other kids because it's very catchy, but then again I don't want to keep him home for no reason! Help

Miri1

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:11 am
If you saw them, why wait for a tape test? just treat him with over the counter meds, cut his nails, give him a shower and send him in!
Make sure to wash all his linens, pj's, underwear etc. in hot water, and run on high through the dryer. Shower him every morning, and wash linens often.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:17 am
Miri1 wrote:
If you saw them, why wait for a tape test? just treat him with over the counter meds, cut his nails, give him a shower and send him in!
Make sure to wash all his linens, pj's, underwear etc. in hot water, and run on high through the dryer. Shower him every morning, and wash linens often.

I can just get meds from cvs and not bother with the dr? (Never had this before so I'm a bit clueless) How about the rest of my kids? They take the meds also?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:33 am
Just had that with my daughter. Pharmacy has something over the counter called pinX. No prescription needed. Just make sure to wash his hands well with soap and I don't think there is any need to keep him home from school.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:36 am
If you actually saw the worms I don't think you need the tape test to confirm it. You can just buy the Pin-X medicine and treat them yourself. You're supposed to treat whole household same time because it's very contagious. Give meds now and again in 2 weeks. And clean the house, clothes and linen thoroughly.
Good Luck!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:53 am
If you live in a country that sells Vermox over the counter, then buy it NOW, and keep a good stock in hand. Always treat the whole household.

I read that 1 out of 10 kids has them, at any given point in time. That means that the school already has them, but most people don't even know it.

Do as the other posters said, clean well and trim fingernails. Pinworm eggs can live in the soil indefinitely, and any time a kid gets dirty and then puts their fingers in their mouths, they can get it all over again. Same thing for petting dogs, gardening, cleaning the cat litter box, etc. It's just part of life.

BTDT!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 2:28 am
Give him lots of garlic, pumpkin seeds, and limit sugar. Crush some garlic into coconut oil, put some on/in his backside every night. Garlic kills the worms and eggs on contact.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:49 am
In America, Reese's is available OTC.

The school here allows kids to be in school, but asks that you inform them so they can inform the rest of the school that there was a case so parents can be on the lookout.
It's kind of silly to not let the kids in because it's way too late to stop it from spreading, and chances are it was caught from there.

The first time one of my children had pinworms, the playgroup morah didn't know what to do, and her rabbinic and medical advisory staff told her she should not let my daughter in until she had been on medication for 24 hours. Which was ridiculous IMO since my daughter most likely got it from there, and most likely had worms for days before we knew it and had been also likely spreading it beforehand...

She didn't have a policy which is what made me upset; she made it up on the spot, when I was just being responsible to let her know so she could let the other parents know. If the school has a policy, then of course you should follow it, but there is no real medical reason not to allow kids in school because of it, as long as you make sure you're on top of treating it.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 9:14 am
I never look at them or do any test?! if there is a suspicion I treat. This is what we do here. Also we send to school...

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 10:02 am
So, I started the treatment and he went to school. Thank you all so much for all the help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics