Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Rosh Hashana 2015 Menu
Previous  1  2  3  Next

etky

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:37 am
Amarante wrote:
Yes I made as I am a huge fan of roasted veggies - especially string beans. I liked these. Not sure if it would work with frozen since the water content might be different than the whole fresh string beans I use.

You could experiment before the main event with frozen. This is a recipe I make all the time and it's much simpler as it uses pantry ingredients so it's less of a patchke. They are delish to keep in the fridge as a healthy nosh as they are good cold or at room temperature. Also, I simplify the recipe by just tossing everything together and putting in the oven. And definitely use tin foil to line the pans because the honey makes it sticky. I usually make a bit more of the coating - maybe 1 1/2 times.

Roasted Sesame Green Beans
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooks Illustrated
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
3 cloves medium garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 lb. green beans, stem ends snapped off
1 tablespoon olive oil
Table salt
4 teaspoons sesame seeds (toasted)

Directions:

1. Combine oil, honey, pepper, garlic, and ginger in small bowl; set aside.

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; spread beans on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; using hands, toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, toss to coat, and distribute in even layer. Roast 10 minutes.

3. Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, coat beans evenly with garlic/ginger mixture; redistribute in even layer. Continue roasting until dark golden brown in spots and starting to shrivel, 10 to 12 minutes longer.

4. Adjust seasoning with salt and and toss well to combine. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve.

Thx! This also looks really good. I just have to be able to get the fresh beans which are not always available in my supermarket.
I love roasted veggies too. My latest craze is roasted brussel sprouts...

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:41 am
etky wrote:
Thx! This also looks really good. I just have to be able to get the fresh beans which are not always available in my supermarket.

They are both really good. Definitely worth trying with frozen if you have roasted frozen string beans before. They would definitely be good even if you didn't think they were good enough for "company". Very Happy TJ generally has inexpensive fresh string beans year round so the only time I get frozen is when I have a yen for the french cut string beans.

The Cooks Illustrated is more a match if you are making Asian flavors as I use as a side when I do foods with hoisin sauce type of marinade.

The other one with the tahini is more of a Mediterranean type of feel.

etky

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:47 am
Amarante wrote:
They are both really good. Definitely worth trying with frozen if you have roasted frozen string beans before. They would definitely be good even if you didn't think they were good enough for "company". Very Happy TJ generally has inexpensive fresh string beans year round so the only time I get frozen is when I have a yen for the french cut string beans.

The Cooks Illustrated is more a match if you are making Asian flavors as I use as a side when I do foods with hoisin sauce type of marinade.

The other one with the tahini is more of a Mediterranean type of feel.

So nice to have choices Very Happy
I haven't made my menu yet so we'll see how the spirit moves me...

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 19 2015, 7:47 am
etky wrote:

These aren't roasted but the end result is wonderful and it's very simple. You really need to make it with butter as the ingredients are simple and need the taste of butter but it's a great side with fish. I never would have thought such simple ingredients and preparation would yield such a great dish.

Also, it heats up again well so I make enough for leftovers.

Carrots & Brussels Sprouts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Gourmet
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons chopped shallot (from 1 medium)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 lb. carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Directions:

Cook shallot in 2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add carrots, Brussels sprouts, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add water and cover skillet, then cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in vinegar, remaining tablespoon butter, and salt and pepper to taste.

Notes:

Magazine note: Vegetables can be cut 1 hour ahead and kept at room temperature.

Nutritional Information:

Per serving: 146 cal, 6 g fat (4 g saturated), 22 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 4 g protein (nutritional analysis provided by Nutrition Data)

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 23 2015, 5:28 am
etky wrote:

I was going through my cookbooks and found this recipe for roasted Brussels sprouts which also uses pomegranate.

The notes/summary aren't mine but from the cookbook which was put out by the Manhattan Hewish Community Center. It's got some very interesting recipes.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate-Citrus Glaze

This tantalizing dish was inspired by a fried version that we love but try to resist because of the amount of oil required. In our easier and lighter recipe, the sprouts are roasted and drizzled with a citrus glaze that contains pomegranate molasses—a widely available syrup that is Turkish in origin. The acidity of the glaze is a perfect counterpart to the crispy, caramelized sprouts.

Reserve any whole leaves that fall off the sprouts as you prepare them and toss them in with the quarters before roasting. The leaves will crisp up beautifully.

SERVES 6 TO 8

2 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved and cored
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon orange juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
¾ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
½ to 1 dried chile pepper, seeds removed if less heat is preferred, finely chopped
Seeds from 1 pomegranate
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 500ºF.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the Brussels sprouts in half again. Add the Brussels sprouts, toss with the olive oil, and arrange in a single layer. Roast until brown and crispy, 20 to 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the glaze. In a small bowl, combine the orange and lemon juices, pomegranate molasses, thyme, and chile pepper to taste.

Transfer the cooked Brussels sprouts to a large bowl. Drizzle with the glaze a little bit at a time just to coat. Toss with the pomegranate seeds. Season with salt and pepper, taste, and add more glaze if you think it’s needed. Serve immediately.

“For the brave of heart, and those not counting calories, go ahead and deep-fry the Brussels sprouts in grapeseed oil heated to 375°F, until crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Drizzle with the glaze and toss to coat. Just make sure to serve them soon after you’ve taken them out of the fryer, as their crispiness won’t last long

Excerpt From: Judy Bernstein Bunzl. “The Community Table: Recipes and Stories from the Jewish Community Center in Manhattan and Beyond.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 24 2015, 10:15 am
Haven't made this one yet but looks good. Roasted veggies. It's also from The Community Table: Recipes and Stories from the Jewish Community Center of Manhattan.

Notes are not mine but from the cookbook summary.

Roasted Tzimmes

Remember the super-sweet, gooey carrots always on the buffet tables of your grandmothers’ dining rooms? Don’t expect that flavor or texture here. Sweet carrots are so evocative of the Jewish holidays that we didn’t want to exile them to the history books, but we felt they needed an update. Roasting them allows the natural sugars in the vegetables to caramelize without adding sugar. And instead of prunes and pineapples, we have added dried figs—which are always elegant. With the final addition of za’atar, a Middle Eastern spice mixture, this sweet carrot dish becomes another perfect combination of East meets West—a great mix of Ashkenazi tradition with Middle Eastern flavors.

SERVES 6 to 8

8 dried figs, cut in eighths or ¾ cup golden raisins
¼ cup orange juice
¾ pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes or 1½-inch-long sticks
¾ pound sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes or 1½-inch-long sticks
½ pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes or 1½-inch-long sticks
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon molasses”
“2 teaspoons za’atar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, combine the figs or raisins and orange juice and let soak for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour. Drain and reserve the orange juice.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine the figs or raisins, carrots, sweet potatoes, and parsnips. Add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, molasses, za’atar, salt, and pepper to taste and toss to coat.

Spread the mixture on the baking sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally, until the vegetables begin to caramelize, 30 to 40 minutes. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the reserved orange juice over the vegetables and toss again. Add more salt to taste and serve.”

Excerpt From: Judy Bernstein Bunzl. “The Community Table: Recipes and Stories from the Jewish Community Center in Manhattan and Beyond

sky

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:19 am
ra_mom: What is salami quiche Florentine
sounds like something my kids would love
Thanks

ETA: I'm guessing it is this from KBD Short on Time:
http://www.tastebook.com/recip.....ntine

My kids don't like spinach - can I leave it out?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 1:48 pm
sky wrote:
ra_mom: What is salami quiche Florentine
sounds like something my kids would love
Thanks

ETA: I'm guessing it is this from KBD Short on Time:
http://www.tastebook.com/recip.....ntine

My kids don't like spinach - can I leave it out?

Yes and yes Smile If they like something else you can add instead for color and texture

sky

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 4:02 pm
Thanks! They will love this.

queenert

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:01 pm
saw, can I have your moroccan swiss chard salad?

night 1:
out

day 1:
challah (crowns)
trifle salad
meat (honey garlic?)
spinach rice
silan roasted leeks/sweet potatoes
apple pie

night 2:
challah (crowns)
simanim
spinach salmon puffs
stuffed roasted chicken
sweet potato pie
stuffed onions
ginger cookies
ice cream roll

day 2:
challah (crowns)
copycat restaurant salad
harvest chicken
couscous stuffed acorn squash
teryaki green beans
chocolate pomegranate pie

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 4:32 pm
I don't create menus by day; I just sort of make a bunch of dishes and set out a few things for each meal. My husband doesn't care if I serve the same foods for every meal, so that makes things a lot easier. I'm trying a relatively lighter menu as my family needs to start eating more healthy foods. We also do some dairy or pareve meals.

These are new recipes I'm trying for the first time:

Jamaica Salmon with Coconut cream sauce
Honey Mustard Apple Chicken
African Peanut Sweet Potato Stew
Basil-Lemon Chicken

Poached Salmon
Gefilte fish for the kids
Minute Steak
Honey Rice, made with brown rice
Broccoli Kugel
Sweet Carrot Salad
Some fresh salads, I'll decide the morning of erev yomtov
Quinoa with vegetables
Chicken Soup
Yemenite Garbanzo Soup (takeout)
Hungarian plum compote
Apple Crisp (I'm still looking for a lite "healthier" version, if anyone can help me)

And of course, honey cakes.

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 4:52 pm
Maya wrote:
I don't create menus by day; I just sort of make a bunch of dishes and set out a few things for each meal. My husband doesn't care if I serve the same foods for every meal, so that makes things a lot easier. I'm trying a relatively lighter menu as my family needs to start eating more healthy foods. We also do some dairy or pareve meals.

These are new recipes I'm trying for the first time:

Jamaica Salmon with Coconut cream sauce
Honey Mustard Apple Chicken
African Peanut Sweet Potato Stew
Basil-Lemon Chicken

Poached Salmon
Gefilte fish for the kids
Minute Steak
Honey Rice, made with brown rice
Broccoli Kugel
Sweet Carrot Salad
Some fresh salads, I'll decide the morning of erev yomtov
Quinoa with vegetables
Chicken Soup
Yemenite Garbanzo Soup (takeout)
Hungarian plum compote
Apple Crisp (I'm still looking for a lite "healthier" version, if anyone can help me)

And of course, honey cakes.

What's the Jamaica Salmon with coconut cream sauce

SorGold

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:33 pm
cnc wrote:
What's the Jamaica Salmon with coconut cream sauce

I love jamaican and love all things coconut... I was just going to ask for the recipe?

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:39 pm
Jamaican Salmon with Coconut Cream Sauce (Dairy)

4 salmon fillets
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
4 tsp. Caribbean jerk seasoning
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cream of coconut
1 tsp. grated lime peel
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted

Preheat oven to 350. Place fillets in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Spread mayo and sprinkle with jerk seasoning.

Bake 18-22 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork.

Meanwhile, for coconut cream sauce, in a small saucepan combine sour cream, cream of coconut, lime peel and juice; cook and stir over medium-low heat until blended. Drizzle over fillets; sprinkle with coconut.

(I guess you can substitute something for the sour cream if you don't want it dairy; I wouldn't know with what though. Maybe more experienced cooks or bakers can help.)

pause

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:58 pm
queenert wrote:
saw, can I have your moroccan swiss chard salad?

night 1:
out

day 1:
challah (crowns)
trifle salad
meat (honey garlic?)
spinach rice
silan roasted leeks/sweet potatoes
apple pie

night 2:
challah (crowns)
simanim
spinach salmon puffs
stuffed roasted chicken
sweet potato pie
stuffed onions
ginger cookies
ice cream roll

day 2:
challah (crowns)
copycat restaurant salad
harvest chicken
couscous stuffed acorn squash
teryaki green beans
chocolate pomegranate pie

Do you warm up the spinach salmon puffs or serve them cold? Or room-temp?

tweety1

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:10 pm
Ra_mom, can you plz post recipe for pastrami stuffed capons, and the brisket? Tia!

joy4u

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 6:10 am
Does anyone have the recipie for fig glazwd quinoa?

super mammy

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:42 am
HI ra mom
may I get your reciepey for your rosh hashanah menu.
Thanks

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:41 am
tweety1 wrote:
Ra_mom, can you plz post recipe for pastrami stuffed capons, and the brisket? Tia!

I made this for the brisket. I think I would try using more brown sugar next time
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....68050

Pastrami Stuffed Capons
4 boneless chicken bottoms, skin intact
2/3 lb pastrami, sliced into shreds
apricot preserves or duck sauce
Dijon mustard
garlic powder and kosher salt
duck sauce

Wash and dry chicken.
Combine apricot preserves with mustard yo taste. Add in pastrami shreds and mix well to combine. Stuff the chicken pieces and roll neatly. Pack tightly into a 7x10 deep pan. Sprinkle with garlic powder and salt. Drizzle duck sauce on top.
Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 375 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Sep 07 2015, 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:42 am
super mammy wrote:
HI ra mom
may I get your reciepey for your rosh hashanah menu.
Thanks

Sure. Which recipe would you like?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus