Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Which convenience household items do you have?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 9:38 am
Percolator. I love the convenience of having boiled hot water available whenever I want. Handblender, regular blender, George Foreman.
A rice maker sounds interesting. Never saw one. Is it better than a pot? Does it stir the rice while cooking?
I see the bread machine is popular. Is it like a mini mixer special for doughs? I always thought the advantage was that it bakes the bread too. But I see many use it just to make dough.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 9:46 am
Does it need to be electrical? I like my tupperware containers in my kitchen cabinets. It makes storing lots of food in small spaces very organized.
I also really like my spice rack organizer. I searched a long while and found just right one for my space. http://www.amazon.com/YouCopia.....ERRLS
I have a lucite tissue box holder hanging on the wall in my kitchen which I love! Kids always know where the tissues are and it doesn't take up any counter space!

pause

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 10:04 am
It does not need to be electrical.

Amother, I like your spice rack! I use a lazy susan for my spices, but it takes up more space and stores fewer spices...

sky

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 10:06 am
amother wrote:

I also really like my spice rack organizer. I searched a long while and found just right one for my space. http://www.amazon.com/YouCopia.....ERRLS

Is it good quality? How long have you had it? I actually have had it on my wish list for a long time because it would fit perfectly in my spice cabinet, but didn't want to buy if it wasn't good.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 10:21 am
I have it over a year and still love it! Best purchase ever. It's plastic but I can see it lasting a long time. I use it many times a day and each time I'm like wow how did I manage without it!
The only catch is- each shelf has space for 2 rows of spice bottles. Only the upper row fits a regular size bottle. The lower row is shorter. So I found cheap (99 cents) glass spice jars in bed bath and beyond. It fits perfectly in the lower row. I filled them with the spices I don't use a lot of. It looks really nice.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 10:46 am
I posted this on LII in June just sharing a gadget that we love. Turned out that many other women owned one too and everyone was adding how much they love it too. (I'm just posting my post from there)

Quote:
You're going to love this

My daughter talked me into buying this. They're selling these all over Israel. It's a salad chopper but so much more useful than a food processor. Non-Electric. Only has the bottom blade (not shredder). You put in vegetables. give a few turns by hand and you have Israeli salad! Give fewer turns for American size pieces. I see my kids throw a tomato, cucumber, carrot and onion in and they have a nice salad for lunch. We're constantly using this. Great for chopping onion. great for chopping frozen (defrosted) broccolli, mixed vegetables for a kugel.

Why it's better than a food processos:
    1- Very lightweight and small (no motor, everything except blades is plastic), not like taking out your food processor

2- The bowl is like a small salad bowl so you can chop and then eat the salad straight from it (comes with a plastic cover so you can put your salad in the fridge like tupperware)

3- You control the amount of turns (even pulsing in a FP gives a bunch of turns - here you can do just 1 or 2)

4- Much easier to clean than a FP. Not sure why it is. Maybe cause it's a lower bowl.

CatLady

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 11:21 am
Sanguine, I want one! What's the brand name? I can see myself using this for salsa, guacamole, etc.

My gadget of choice is my mandoline. It slices, shred and juliennes, and makes short work of it. I have good knives and decent knife skills, but if I'm slicing carrots for tzimmes, I will use a mandoline in a heartbeat.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 11:33 am
CatLady wrote:
Sanguine, I want one! What's the brand name? I can see myself using this for salsa, guacamole, etc.
It's "slicer" (very original). Here's a link so you can see it better http://www.colbo4u.com/product.....7%A1/
Just make sure to not buy junk

Happydance

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:54 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Bubbie carts rock.

shlepping in double strollers is way more hip...

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:02 pm
rlm wrote:
shlepping in double strollers is way more hip...

I'm a bubby with a hot rod red BubbyCart. I'm well beyond the stroller years.

CatLady

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 2:18 pm
I'm not a bubby - yet! - but my cart is also red. I have the Playmarket Go 3, and here's a pic of my wheels:

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 6:35 pm
Oh, yeah, bubby cart for sure. But where I come from they're called "shopping carts", not bubby carts, because everyone uses one, even the twentysomethings who aren't obsessed with looking sleek and chic every minute of every day. (Anyway, shlepping large grocery sacks in your hands doesn't look all that sleek and chic, does it? Bags from Coach, Sephora and Chanel, sure, but not Stop & Shop. )
There is definitely no substitute for the capacious shopping cart. I would give up my mixer, crock pot, hot water urn and blow-dryer before giving up my shopping cart.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 6:40 pm
I have an earlier version of this Playmarket. Mine doesn't have the front pouch for refrigerated items, it does have pockets inside that accept these huge flat freezer thingies. I love my my BubbyCart and my DD installed some reflective tape on it as well as a bicycle bell and led headlight.

http://www.thekitchn.com/for-c.....83820

Blue jay

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 6:57 pm
My Libbman spray mop ( you can refill the cleaning fluid with any kind you choose)

Like this thread! I am getting so many new ideas here!

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 7:30 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I have an earlier version of this Playmarket. Mine doesn't have the front pouch for refrigerated items, it does have pockets inside that accept these huge flat freezer thingies. I love my my BubbyCart and my DD installed some reflective tape on it as well as a bicycle bell and led headlight.

http://www.thekitchn.com/for-c.....83820

A souped-up shopping cart, yet! who woulda thunk? I would like an awning on mine to keep the sun off the perishables and me!

Shoelover

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:28 pm
I really want to get a rice cooker. My favorite appliances would be hot water urn, sandwich maker, magic mill (I make challah often), my garage (especial when it's raining), mandolin, dishwasher, paper towels and disposable gloves

pause

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:42 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:
My Libbman spray mop ( you can refill the cleaning fluid with any kind you choose)

Like this thread! I am getting so many new ideas here!

Can you post a link?

pause

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:45 pm
Also, we don't need to limit this thread to kitchen gadgets! Anything in your household.

applecake

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 9:20 pm
Sanguine wrote:
I posted this on LII in June just sharing a gadget that we love. Turned out that many other women owned one too and everyone was adding how much they love it too. (I'm just posting my post from there)

How did I not know this thing existed? I NEED ONE. Thank you for sharing (again).

zohar

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 9:52 pm
Sanguine wrote:

Quote:
You're going to love this

My daughter talked me into buying this. They're selling these all over Israel. It's a salad chopper but so much more useful than a food processor. Non-Electric. Only has the bottom blade (not shredder). You put in vegetables. give a few turns by hand and you have Israeli salad! Give fewer turns for American size pieces. I see my kids throw a tomato, cucumber, carrot and onion in and they have a nice salad for lunch. We're constantly using this. Great for chopping onion. great for chopping frozen (defrosted) broccolli, mixed vegetables for a kugel.

Why it's better than a food processos:
    1- Very lightweight and small (no motor, everything except blades is plastic), not like taking out your food processor

2- The bowl is like a small salad bowl so you can chop and then eat the salad straight from it (comes with a plastic cover so you can put your salad in the fridge like tupperware)

3- You control the amount of turns (even pulsing in a FP gives a bunch of turns - here you can do just 1 or 2)

4- Much easier to clean than a FP. Not sure why it is. Maybe cause it's a lower bowl.

I have one. Different brand. I love it. It makes my supper prep so much easier. I'm very sensitive to onions and I'm not great with a knife. If the recipe calls for a diced onion (or pepper, etc) I just dump it in and give a few spins and I'm done. Love it.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics