Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Waiting an hour

myname1

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:30 am
My husband just said his (Hebrew, Chareidi) halacha sefer on kashrus says that although the general minhag is to wait 6 hours from milk to meat, someone slightly sick can wait only 1 hour (Source: Pischei Teshuva in the name of Chasam Sofer and Chachmas Adam). They give the example of a woman after birth and specify that one doesn't have to be so sick they need to lie in bed in order to rely on this. In the first trimester of my pregnancy, I was extremely sick, and a couple of times almost threw up at the thought of needing to find something besides milchigs to eat (like on Shabbos if I'd had shnitzel at lunch). I obviously survived it just fine, baruch Hashem, but it was still pretty traumatic, and it definitely sounds like this heter should have applied. So my question is- has anyone actually been told to rely on this, either when pregnant or otherwise?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:48 am
Ask a baki in issur v'heter.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:54 am
In Holland, the entire Jewish community has a minhag of only one hour. It makes me wish I were Dutch!

water_bear88

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 6:39 am
As Lymnok said- ask a rav. It might only apply to choleh sheyesh bo sakana if the only example given was a yoledet, but there are also unusual leniencies regarding pregnancy cravings.

myname1

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:38 am
Well it's not applicable to me at the moment, I was just curious because I've never heard it. And it specifically said "slightly sick" (I can ask my husband the word used later), and specifically said the person does not even need to be so sick they can't get out of bed. That's what seemed strange...

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 9:15 am
There is no general minhag.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 9:42 am
I have heard of people who have gotten heterim for waiting different amounts of time for various conditions. It is something worth asking a shaila about, as it's not obvious that one will receive a no for her situation.

mille

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 7:13 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
As Lymnok said- ask a rav. It might only apply to choleh sheyesh bo sakana if the only example given was a yoledet, but there are also unusual leniencies regarding pregnancy cravings.

When I told my Rabbi friend that I'm pregnant, he sent me the quote from gemara that talks about how if a woman is craving total treif during pregnancy she should eat it. I don't think he was necessarily telling me to do something, but merely thought it was interesting. Tongue Out

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 7:19 pm
Pregnant and nursing women need wait only an hour.

littleprincess

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 7:23 pm
I never heard that in Holland people wait only an hour

I once had a terrible indigestion attack (severe heartburn). Called hatzolo because the pain was unbearable. They asked me what usually soothes my heart burn and dh said milk. And me with my pain screamed "I'm fleishig". Anyways after 2 cups of milk they cancelled the ambulance and I felt as if nothing happened

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:30 pm
I was told that while pregnant I only need to wait an hour.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 10:12 pm
In this vein, I remember learning that if one were to accidentally make a brocha on something dairy after eating something fleishig, if there's nothing non-dairy to eat with that brocha, they should eat the dairy food, as long as at least 1 hour has passed. The reason being that not saying Hashem's name in vain is d'oreisa, and waiting more than an hour is d'rabonon.
That was the first time I've heard of 1 hour being the main thing. I thought it was so interesting!

Last edited by amother on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 11:47 pm
I was told the same thing. I would only actually do it if desperate though, which I only remember happening once - usually during the times I had the worst nausea/cravings I was hardly ever fleishig anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions