Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
12 year old does not sleep

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 10:55 am
My 12 year old DD does not sleep. Has been a horrible sleeper since birth. She has a hard time falling asleep and is a super light sleeper. I do not think she has any breathing problems or sleep apnea. I have spoken to our ped a few times about it but she said that kids can't take sleeping pills so there is not much w can do about it. We have tried hot foot baths, warm milk, melatonin, valerian, calms forte and everything else under the sun. If DD didn't say she felt tired in the morning or complain of headaches I would just think she doesn't need a lot of sleep. She was also recently evaluated for ADHD and has it but I really think she is just exhausted and can't concentrate. If we did a sleep study is there any point? Other then sleeping meds are there other treatments? At this point I would consider meds though it definitely scares me but the thought of ADHD meds which can make kids sleep less terrifies me.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 11:06 am
sound machine?

I have a nephew with ADD/ADHD and IIRC the meds are supposed to help them calm down and sleep MORE.

chani8

Post Tue, Sep 01 2015, 1:02 pm
If she has ADHD then that is precisely why she cannot fall asleep. She has a 'hot brain' that does not quiet down.

I am not advocating ADHD meds, because IMO herbs are way better, except for Ritalin for some ADD types.

When you do herbs, like valerian, you need to give it three times a day. Not just at bedtime.

A strong dose of Chamomile in the evening should be helpful. If not, then you are not giving a strong enough dose.

(Don't give melatonin.)

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 11:24 pm
Bump

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 11:59 pm
give her Benadryl. its not habit forming and isn't dangerous. some people have the opposite reaction but its worth a try. heard from a dr.

Do a sleep study just in case because if its that you are giving her medicines for no reason. Its non invasive so what do you lose?

If she is exhausted, adhd symptons are understandable.

Also force her to stay in bed even if she is not sleeping, no books, no sceens, just adark room, its boring, maybe it will help.

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 1:04 am
We also use Benedryl as a sleep aid at times, but please don't use it long term:

"...a link between long-term use of anticholinergic medications like Benadryl and dementia.

Anticholinergic drugs block the action of acetylcholine. This substance transmits messages in the nervous system. In the brain, acetylcholine is involved in learning and memory."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics