Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Extra thin noodle (kugel?)

coconutbutter

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:03 am
Anyone have a recipe using extra thin noodles? No marg please.

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:46 am
What kind of kugel? I make my yerushalmi and lukshen kugel both with extra thin noodles and I never used margarine in a kugel! (don't even know how one does that)

coconutbutter

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:47 am
Yes- can I have the recipe? TIA

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:52 am
Sure.

Will give you the recipe when I get home. It's a really good one!

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:12 am
1lb (400 grams) thin noodles

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup oil

4 eggs

2 tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Black pepper

1/4 cup sugar (not caramelized!)

Cook the noodles.

Caramelize the sugar with the oil, when that's ready you mix in the noodles, add salt, pepper, eggs and sugar and mix well.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 2:15 pm
I have never heard of a special recipe for extra-thin noodles. Why would there be? I use the same recipe regardless of width of noodle and sometimes use different widths in the same batch. You just boil thinner noodles for less time because they cook faster.

be good

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 6:57 am
JMM-uc wrote:
1lb (400 grams) thin noodles

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup oil

4 eggs

2 tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Black pepper

1/4 cup sugar (not caramelized!)

Cook the noodles.

Caramelize the sugar with the oil, when that's ready you mix in the noodles, add salt, pepper, eggs and sugar and mix well.

This looks great, I want to try it today!
I assume it gets baked, what are the rest of the instructions?

imasoftov

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 8:09 am
I'd just use a different size noodle in the recipe.

JMM-uc

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 8:13 am
be good wrote:
This looks great, I want to try it today!
I assume it gets baked, what are the rest of the instructions?

Of course it gets baked! Smile

Pour into well greased pan and bake in a medium oven for 3/4-1 hour till crispy and dark on top.

This kugel is the BEST! if you're not used to caramelizing you have to do it over a low to medium flame until deep golden brown. Make sure it doesn't burn!

Enjoy Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 10:03 am
You can also break extra thin noodles in small pieces, toast in a pot without any oil till they brown. You can add them as garnish to rice (add last 3 minutes of cooking with a few tablespoons of water ).

Or continue to cook browned noodles with tomato sauce, water, s& p till al dente. (Add just enough liquid to cover so noodles can absorb. )

be good

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 5:48 pm
Thanks so much JMM-uc! It was so good, we really enjoyed it!
Doubled it and half is in the freezer for R"H.

My caramelizing will improve with practice and patience Smile (I did it over too high a flame and it browned but chunked up, so I added .25 cup of water and turned it lower until it dissolved... and It still turned out awesome!)

shanie5

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 10:10 pm
be good wrote:
Thanks so much JMM-uc! It was so good, we really enjoyed it!
Doubled it and half is in the freezer for R"H.

My caramelizing will improve with practice and patience Smile (I did it over too high a flame and it browned but chunked up, so I added .25 cup of water and turned it lower until it dissolved... and It still turned out awesome!)

Sugar will chunk up sometimes before fully dissolving. Had you cooked it longer, it probably would have turned fully liquid w/o the water being added. for future reference.

etky

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:13 am
How does this kugel come out?
Like Yerushalmi kugel b/c of the carmelized sugar or less brown inside because it's not baked that long?

coconutbutter

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:49 am
Thank you so much!! For some reason I did not get topic reply notification before Shabbos so I didn't get a chance to make it but I think I'll make it now and stick it in freezer. Hoping to have successful "stock the freezer sunday" :p. Let's see how it goes..

israelgirl

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 4:19 am
There is this amazing two toned lukshen kugel in BY cookbook. I just made 3 of them for RH and Sukkos. It's basically Yerushalmi kugel on bottom, sweet lukshen on top and a crumble on top of that. SOOO good and pretty.

coconutbutter

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 4:20 am
israelgirl wrote:
There is this amazing two toned lukshen kugel in BY cookbook. I just made 3 of them for RH and Sukkos. It's basically Yerushalmi kugel on bottom, sweet lukshen on top and a crumble on top of that. SOOO good and pretty.

oooohhhh.....recipe?

israelgirl

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 4:29 am
Yerushalmi Kugel Layer
1 1/4 c sugar
1/2 c oil
1 bag fine noodles, prepared according to pkg directions
4 lrg eggs
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper

Grease 3 loaf pans, set aside. Caramelize 1 1/4 c sugar and 1/2 cc oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook for about 20 min until caramel colored and liquid. Add prepared noodles to the sugar and mix to coat competely and cool. Add remaining ing and pour kugel into 3 loaf pans (I did 4)

Sweet Lokshen Kugel Layer
1 10 oz bag noodles prepared
1 1/4 c sugar
1/3 c oil
4 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla sugar.

MIx all well and pour over Yerushamli Kugel layer.

Crumb
2 1/2 c crisp rice cereal
1/2 c packed brown sugar
3 tbsp oil

Sprinkle over kugel
Bake an hour until tops begin to brown.

coconutbutter

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:09 am
2nd attempt to caramelize sugar- Fail Sad. Help?! First time I stirred because I felt it was burning on bottom and wanted to incorporate the rest of the mixture...I see now NO STIRRING!

This time I waited until I felt it was done and gave it quick stir and it all clumped into one piece and separated from oil.

I may be tempted to try one last time, any fool proof tips?

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 3:54 pm
Make sure pot is dry-no water. I dont add anything to my sugar. Just put in pot and heat. I do stir it. I use a wooden spoon, but dont know if it makes a big difference. Are you sure you are waiting long enough for it to melt? It s/t clumps by me, but with continued heating and stirring, it liquifies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes