Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Maaser money

LOVELY19

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 1:02 am
Hi. Im working and I get paid every week. I want to add it up every month and give maaser. Do I need to? Who can I give it to? I want to give to my family that can make good use out if it. Im I allowed?? Also how much? Is it 10 percent?? So let say I get £500 a month I much do I give. ?? Not good at math so telling me how to work out on calculator would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 1:13 am
I believe it's take home income, after taxes. Minus torah educational expenses. Sit down with a Rav to break down your income and expenses since it can be pretty confusing.
If you invested money into a business, and are not seeing profit yet, there isn't maaser.

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 2:33 am
Iymnok wrote:
I believe it's take home income, after taxes. Minus torah educational expenses. Sit down with a Rav to break down your income and expenses since it can be pretty confusing.
If you invested money into a business, and are not seeing profit yet, there isn't maaser.

There are different interpretations. One is it is take income minus work expenses and taxes without Torah educational expenses. Others allow Torah education expenses. AYLOR

myself

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 3:55 am
It's generally 10% off all income so if you're earning £500 it would be £50. It's basically tzedaka money and it's your choice as to whom you give it to. If your family are needy then giving to them is a form of tzedaka. In fact, family should come first.

AFAIK, money given for a designated purpose does not need to be maaser'ed so if someone gave you money specifically to buy yourself something for yom tov that would not need to be maaser'ed. Of course it's always best to consult with your LOR.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics